Default Can You Have a DUI Thrown Out

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington

Can a dui charge be thrown out because they said they pulled you over for speeding and smelled alcohol. Come to find out I was traveling from a hwy with 70 MPH speed limit and turned on a ramp that transfered me to another HWY that did not have any indicators that the speed had changed until after the location he pulled me over. He got me for 72 in a 60.

Default Re: Can You Have a DUI Thrown Out

No. That would be a valid stop. Just because you get pulled over in a gap between posted signs.

But I wasnt doing anything wrong correct. It was leagal for me to be travelling that speed at the location. I could see it if I passed the sign and didnt slow down but he did not do that. I did not know I had to slow down. So they could sit there and pull everyone over according to what you are telling me.

Wait for the cop to get on the board. You were driving too fast for the road travelled. That's a valid stop. Just becasue you merged onto a second highway does not absolve you of speeding. The speed limit changed and you were going too fast. You just got stopped in between signs.

A lot depends on the articulated reasonable suspicion for the stop. If the officer made the stop based upon a reasonable presumption of the speed limit, then this stop may well be valid.

Also, if you were going 72 that is still over the 70 limit.

You an always try to raise this a defense, but it may not fly. And since you are battling a DUI you had best do so with the aid of an attorney. If this is a realistic possibility, then your attorney should be able to advise you best how to proceed.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting pvanhorn
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington

Can a dui charge be thrown out because they said they pulled you over for speeding and smelled alcohol. Come to find out I was traveling from a hwy with 70 MPH speed limit and turned on a ramp that transfered me to another HWY that did not have any indicators that the speed had changed until after the location he pulled me over. He got me for 72 in a 60.
    I suggest that you talk to a DUI Lawyer about it for your better understanding on your case.

1. Sponsored Links