Default Do Civil Lawsuits You File Come Up on Background Checks by Employers

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NY

I'm about to file my 3rd civil lawsuit in 2 years against a service provider i've dealt with in my side business (all were for absolutely legitimate purposes and i won each one). I heard some companies screen applicants for the amount of times they sued someone or were sued. Is that true and if so would something like this show up on a background check? If they do show up for how long and how bad does it look?

These were all in small claims court and all were settled outside of court if that makes a difference.

Default Re: Do Civil Lawsuits You File Come Up on Background Checks by Employers

Depends what sort of background check they do. It obviously won't be on a criminal check. A recent or yet unresolved judgement may show up on certain credit checks.

Default Re: Do Civil Lawsuits You File Come Up on Background Checks by Employers

I'm referring to a lawsuit i filed in small claims court say a year ago that was resolved. What types of background checks would show this? I'm going into finance so i would say the standard background checks banks do for financial analysts, etc.

Probably not... it's recorded judgements against you that show up. I had to attest to the fact that a couple of ones on someone with a similar name were NOT me when getting a mortgage a while back.

Well does it become public record or easily accessible information when you sue someone? I can see why some employers would want to know this...

Lawsuits are part of the public record; almost no civil litigation occurs under seal.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Lawsuits are part of the public record; almost no civil litigation occurs under seal.
    does it matter if it gets settled/doesn't get to court?

1. Sponsored Links