Default Parked Car Hit and Run

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Maryland
    About a year ago I got in trouble for driving on a suspended license and received a Probation Before Judgement when I went to court. My license are suspended b/c of a few unpaid tickets. A few months ago I had a doctors appointment and used my fiances car to drive there and on my way home, right around the corner from my house, I hit a parked car. I panicked and instead of stopping, drove home to get my fiance and no sooner than walking through the door a police officer pulls up outside. I know how stupid and idiotic it was of me and I realize that I now have to suffer the consequences and pay for my actions. I'm being charged with a total of six different things, one of which is a ticket and the other five are must appears. They are as follows: 1. Failure of vehicle driver to stop after unattended vehicle damage accident 2. Failure of vehicle driver in accident to locate and notify owner of unattended veh of damage 3.Failure of M/V driver to furnish written ID info on unattended damaged veh. 4. Failure of veh. driver invoked by accident to give insurance policy info 5. Person driving motor veh. on hwy on suspended license 6. Driving/Attempting to drive motor veh. on hwy w/o required license and authorization.

Unfortunately with all of these charges I cannot afford to hire a paid attorney, but was able to get a public defender. I had one the last time I was in trouble and you don't get to talk or discuss anything with them until the day of court. I guess my questions are, What are the chances of me having to serve jail time? How much time am I facing? What if anything can I do before my court date to help me avoid getting jail time? I currently am unemployed with three children and with only one income coming in, money is tight. I was hoping to be able to pay off the previous tickets that I owe so that I can get my license back before court, but I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. I'm thinking that they may suspend my license for a while anyway. I am petrified of going to jail and the possibility that my children may be without me. Well I hope I didn't give you all too much info and any opinions/information would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Parked Car Hit and Run

Quote Quoting kortneyb
    View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Maryland
    What are the chances of me having to serve jail time?
    What are the actual statute numbers you were charged with?

I have to tell you... you probably have one or two felonies tucked up in there. That isn't good.

How much time am I facing?
    That is up to the judge.

What if anything can I do before my court date to help me avoid getting jail time?
    Pay your original tickets... but don't hope for much.

Quote Quoting kortneyb
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Maryland
    About a year ago I got in trouble for driving on a suspended license and received a Probation Before Judgement when I went to court. My license are suspended b/c of a few unpaid tickets. A few months ago I had a doctors appointment and used my fiances car to drive there and on my way home, right around the corner from my house, I hit a parked car. I panicked and instead of stopping, drove home to get my fiance and no sooner than walking through the door a police officer pulls up outside. I know how stupid and idiotic it was of me and I realize that I now have to suffer the consequences and pay for my actions. I'm being charged with a total of six different things, one of which is a ticket and the other five are must appears. They are as follows: 1. Failure of vehicle driver to stop after unattended vehicle damage accident 2. Failure of vehicle driver in accident to locate and notify owner of unattended veh of damage 3.Failure of M/V driver to furnish written ID info on unattended damaged veh. 4. Failure of veh. driver invoked by accident to give insurance policy info 5. Person driving motor veh. on hwy on suspended license 6. Driving/Attempting to drive motor veh. on hwy w/o required license and authorization.

Unfortunately with all of these charges I cannot afford to hire a paid attorney, but was able to get a public defender. I had one the last time I was in trouble and you don't get to talk or discuss anything with them until the day of court. I guess my questions are, What are the chances of me having to serve jail time? How much time am I facing? What if anything can I do before my court date to help me avoid getting jail time? I currently am unemployed with three children and with only one income coming in, money is tight. I was hoping to be able to pay off the previous tickets that I owe so that I can get my license back before court, but I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. I'm thinking that they may suspend my license for a while anyway. I am petrified of going to jail and the possibility that my children may be without me. Well I hope I didn't give you all too much info and any opinions/information would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
    Not to trivialize what happened, but I don't see how he can come up with six different charges in total. I see numbers 1 thru 4 above combined as 1 violation (or possibly 2) of:

20-105. Duty on striking unattended vehicle or other property.
    (a) Stopping vehicle at scene of accident.- The driver of each vehicle involved in an accident that results in damage to an unattended vehicle or other unattended property immediately shall stop the vehicle as close as possible to the scene of the accident, without obstructing traffic more than necessary.

(b) Duty to give driver, owner, etc., of damaged vehicles or property certain information.- Subject to the provisions of subsection (c) of this section, the driver of each vehicle involved in an accident that results in damage to an unattended vehicle or other unattended property shall attempt to locate the driver, owner, or person in charge of the damaged vehicle or other property and notify him of:

(1) His name and address;

(2) The registration number of the vehicle he is driving; and

(3) The name and address of the owner of that vehicle.
    (c) Leaving written notice on damaged vehicle or property.- If the driver, owner, or person in charge of the damaged vehicle or other property cannot be located, leave in a conspicuous, secure place in or on the damaged vehicle or other property a written notice giving the same information.

Unless they're going to charge each subsection (a, b and c) individually...

And possibly:

20-105.1. Information in addition to that required by 20-104 and 20-105.
    (a) Insurance information required.- In addition to the information that is required to be given under 20-104 and 20-105 of this title, the driver of each vehicle involved in an accident under either of those sections shall also give the following information:

(1) Name and address of the insurance carrier or other provider of security for the person giving the information;

(2) Policy or other identifying number of the liability insurance or other security, if it is available; and

(3) Name and address of the local insurance producer or local office of the insurance carrier or other provider of security, if it is available.
    (b) To whom given.- The information specified in subsection (a) of this section shall be given to any person required to be notified under 20-104 or 20-105 of this title.

And numbers 5 & 6 combined into 1 violation of:

16-303. Driving while privilege is canceled, suspended, refused, or revoked.
    (a) Refused licenses.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is refused in this State or any other state.

(b) Canceled licenses.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is canceled in this State.

(c) Suspended licenses generally.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is suspended in this State.

(d) Revoked licenses.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is revoked in this State.

(e) Licenses canceled by other states.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license issued by any other state is canceled.

(f) Licenses suspended by other states.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license issued by any other state is suspended.

(g) Licenses revoked by other states.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license issued by any other state is revoked.

(h) Licenses suspended under certain provisions of article.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is suspended under 17-106, 26-204, 26-206, or 27-103 of this article.

(i) License suspended by another state for failure to appear or pay fine.-

(1) This subsection applies only to a person whose license or privilege to drive is suspended under the traffic laws or regulations of another state for:

(i) Failure to comply with a notice to appear in a court of that state contained in a traffic citation issued to the person; or

(ii) Failure to pay a fine for a violation of any traffic laws or regulations of that state.

(2) A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any property specified in 21-101.1 of this article while the person's license or privilege to drive is suspended under the traffic laws or regulations of any other state as described in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
    (j) Assessment of points.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, any individual who violates a provision of this section shall be assessed the points as provided for in 16-402(a)(31) of this title.

(2) Any individual who violates a provision of subsection (h) or subsection (i) of this section shall be assessed the points as provided for in 16-402(a)(12) of this title.

Again, that is not to take away from the severity of these charges even if they are limited to just 2 or 3.

Good thing the officer showed up that fast, otherwise, it may have been tempting to have your fiance claim that she was driving... Which in addition to the above charges, you'd be risking an additional charge for "filing of a false report"!

Really felonies? I probably should try and research it and find out exactly what it is I'm looking for. I know that it's ultimately up to the judge, but I thought that each charge carried a maximum sentence? I think these are the numbers: TA20105 A, TA20105 b, TA20105 C, TA20105.1, TA16303 C, TA16101 A.

I tried doing some research on lexisnexis, but had no idea what I was doing. I just want to know how much time I'll be facing so that I can make arrangments for my children to be taken care of in case the worst happens.

Well it looks like "That Guy" nailed it with the exception of the 16-301(a) which is getting a license under false pretenses.
    Most of these charges can get you misdemeanor convictions of 2 months and $500 fine as well as additional terms of suspension.
    Your PBJ will be revoked and you'll get convicted on that charge. You could be sentenced up to a year in jail and $1000 on that.
    Being how this is now your SECOND offense driving under suspension, you could be sentenced up to two years in jail and $1000 on that.
    Some laws will consider the second a felony given the possibility of two years in jail.
    16-301A can get you up to three years and $2500.

I think you left something out.

What to you mean, you think I left something out?

1. Sponsored Links