Default Noise Complaints by Neighbors

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Arizona

My husband and I just moved into an apartment/condominium property April 15 of this year. 2 days after we moved in, we awoke to a nasty note on our door from the downstairs neighbors. The note read that we were "subjecting" them to a lot of noise and that we needed to keep it down. Now, it can be safely assumed that when living in an apartment/condo property, there is a certain amount of expected noise. Moving is NOT unreasonable noise. We thought to write them a note apologizing for any noise but we decided against it. We figured that maybe we were a little too loud moving in and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

About a week later, on a Tuesday at around 6 pm (just after work) we decided to put our brand new computer desk together. Around 10 minutes in, the downstairs lady comes running up the stairs and begins to BANG (not knock) on our door. Upon opening it, we discover a woman not wearing any pants and she begins yelling at us, demanding we tell her what all the "chaos" is about. We were shocked because she was making such a huge deal out of it. We told her we were building a desk. Then, she jumped to the next question and demanded we tell her all of our activities and why we were being loud for the past week.

We were honestly baffled. We do NOT party, drink, listen to loud music, or have guests over! We are masters degree students who live a quiet lifestyle and go about our own business. During this "altercation" she began telling us we weren't normal people and that when we walk around it's too loud. My husband is 6'4" and 200 lbs! Of course it's going to make some noise when we walk but we aren't stomping around at all. From that point on we began to walk on eggshells and I was afraid to walk up and down the stairs past their patio for fear of them saying something. I am really shy in person and hate confrontation.

About 2 weeks later, we received a noise complaint from the HOA association. The people downstairs said that we are "unreasonably loud". I contacted the property manager and explained what was going on and he told me that if I had any future problems to contact him again. Well, tonight, we received 2 new complaints.

I just got a puppy 4 days ago and she likes to run around...but she is literally 4 pounds and is pretty quiet! She does cry in her crate but she eventually stops. I don't know how they can hear her they must have a stethoscope attached to their ceiling!

So they complained that we have a dog (but dogs are O.K. to have here so what's that point in complaining) and that we are again being loud. Now the HOA is fining us $50. It's not a lot but it's the principle of it.

I am scared and uncomfortable living here. The last thing I need is to get evicted. I have never been in any kind of trouble with anyone and have always been a good neighbor. I feel like crying I am so overwhelmed! Please someone help us and tell us what to do! I don't know why they are so motivated to ruin our lives...is it race? religion? I don't understand this at all! HELP!

Default Re: Harassing Neighbors

Moving makes a lot of noise; apparently you were excused for that.

If your dog is making excessive noise, it's making excessive noise. You may believe that it's reasonable for your puppy to whine and cry in her crate until she eventually stops, but the neighbor and HOA apparently believe otherwise. We're not in a position to judge the noise level. Did somebody from the HOA listen to the noise your dog was making before issuing the fine?

I am not sure why you are dragging race or religion into this. Is your dog a black lab, and an atheist to boot?

1. Sponsored Links