Default On a Month-To-Month Lease, I Want to Stay but I Want the Roommate to Leave

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Ohio

At the property I currently rent, the lease is for 12 months and then it continues on a month-to-month agreement. The 12 months have already passed, and we are month-to-month.

Currently, it is just myself and my roommate. The situation is I want to continue to rent here, but want my roommate to leave. There are many conflicts of interest, and its becoming unbearable to live with. I have contacted my landlord to check and make sure it is ok for her to leave and me to stay and replace the roommate with another tenant. The landlord is ok with the change.

Upon trying to talk to my roommate about moving out, I could not get a set date for the person to vacate or an agreement to vacate. She just would say that she didn't know when she could leave because she didn't know when she would have the money.

I told the roommate that I want her out in three months or earlier. I feel that three months is more than enough time considering a landlord could give a 30 day notice.

My question is, how do I get her out? I can't wait for her to "have enough money" because she never will move out if thats the case. Is there anything that my landlord can do to help get her out and allow me to remain? Also, I am the primary lease holder and she is secondary on the lease. Help!
    Thanks!

Default Re: On a Month-To-Month Lease, I Want to Stay but I Want the Roommate to Leave

Also, I am the primary lease holder and she is secondary on the lease.
    Explain what you mean by this. With whom is your roommate's rental agreement - you or your landlord?

Default Re: On a Month-To-Month Lease, I Want to Stay but I Want the Roommate to Leave

It is with the landlord. The lease agreement states that I am primary and that she is a secondary lease holder.

If her agreement is with the landlord, only the landlord can get her out. He can either give her 30 days notice that he's terminating her tenancy, then initiate formal eviction procedures if she doesn't leave, or he can evict your roommate if she is in material breach of the lease terms.

Expect your landlord to refuse to get involved.

1. Sponsored Links