Default Battery by a Supervisor at Work Injury Occured

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois
    Good Morning
    On June 24th 2011 I have been yelled at in the office where other employees heard, to minimize my computer screen and come to my supervisors office. She slammed the door and yelled at me saying "We are not going to have a sit down conversation" then told me she was angered at me for honestly telling another employee we are monitored for errors and then if too many are made you do get written up. She was very much not in control of her anger with me, and in a calm manner I had attempted to tell her that this employee had asked me earlier that morning about errors, and I just honestly explained to her that I had errors in the past and had been given a formal write up, they stay with you for 6 months not allowing you to place a transfer into another department if other jobs arise. My supervisor then stormed to her office door, told me she wanted to hear no more from me and open her door shouting take it to HR, and then repeated that, then pushed me in my shoulder region, where as I stumbled, didnt fall to the floor cause I caught myself while she turned her back and slammed her door and other employees heard this and I just then stood there in shock.(I might mention I have just returned to work May 23rd after having surgery on May 9th) The adrenalin of course and embarrassment level for me was high, and I went to my desk, email HR to file a grievance, which of course went no where, and approx 1 1/2 hours later when leaving work and walking down the stairs I had noticed I had sever pain going through my left joint and groin area apparently from the shove and my foot getting stuck in the heavy industrial carpet...I might mention when I went to HR I was told to just go and do my job stay focused and they would get my supervisors view, there were 2 witnesses, however one is a temp and will not say anything due to she needs the job and the other is a manager who works under this supervisor...my supervisor is the director of clinic operations and has been with the company from the get go. Later that evening and through out the weekend my pain and gait changed to the extreme...I am scheduled to see a physician today, and HR has provided me with work comp ins info after I had requested it several times, and I was also given advised to file a police report which I did file yesterday June 27 2011 and I have not at this time officially pressed charges...but there is a file with the local police department, what do I do now...any advise,or what direction I need to take. I fear if and when my injury is relieved from pain or resolved and fixed and I have to face this person if I return to work. that I will be verbally and emotional abused, not to mention the mere face that I may be terminated....advise????

Default Re: Battery by a Supervisor at Work Injury Occured

Well, you can contact the EEOC, the ACLU and DHR for possible options if your employer is not willing to do anything about this issue.

The ACLU does not handle cases like this.

Neither does the EEOC; at least, not based on the info provided.

I do have a question, would either of the other two handle this case if other co-workers are willing to come forward?

no.

eeoc deals with discrimination issues primarily and there is nothing posted that would lead one to believe there was any illegal discrimination.

ACLU deals with personal rights, most generally in regards to government actions hence the "civil liberties" portion of their name. There is no government issue and there really isn't any rights issues involved.

The only thing I see is the employer may have committed a battery, a criminal act, and due to their position in the company, the OP may have a valid suit for damages outside of workers compensation. Other than that, while the boss was not professional in their actions, there was nothing illegal.

If you feel like you've been assualted then the agency to call is the Police. Call ahead and tell the police your situation and than you'd like to pursue charges and take their direction from there. But be aware you could still be fired.

1. Sponsored Links