Default Renter of Room in My Home Left Hasn't Paid Rent or Utilities, and Left His Stuff

My question involves a roommate in the State of: florida.
    I had a renter- verbal month to month. he left on 6/6/2011 without paying June's rent or his share of the utilities. He left his things in his room. Now he won't return any calls or texts.
    My questions are how do I get him out. I need to get a paying room renter.
    What are my options for getting rent utilities due including the month he has been gone
    What can I legally do with his things

Any direction would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Renter of Room in My Home Left Hasn't Paid Rent or Utilities, and Left His Stuff

Per statute,
    Quote Quoting Florida Statutes, Sec. 83.05. Right of possession upon default in rent; determination of right of possession in action or surrender or abandonment of premises.
    (1) If any person leasing or renting any land or premises other than a dwelling unit fails to pay the rent at the time it becomes due, the lessor has the right to obtain possession of the premises as provided by law.

(2) The landlord shall recover possession of rented premises only:
    (a) In an action for possession under s. 83.20, or other civil action in which the issue of right of possession is determined;

(b) When the tenant has surrendered possession of the rented premises to the landlord; or

(c) When the tenant has abandoned the rented premises.
    (3) In the absence of actual knowledge of abandonment, it shall be presumed for purposes of paragraph (2)(c) that the tenant has abandoned the rented premises if:
    (a) The landlord reasonably believes that the tenant has been absent from the rented premises for a period of 30 consecutive days;

(b) The rent is not current; and

(c) A notice pursuant to s. 83.20(2) has been served and 10 days have elapsed since service of such notice.
    However, this presumption does not apply if the rent is current or the tenant has notified the landlord in writing of an intended absence.

1. Sponsored Links