Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Michigan Marijuana Possession, First Offense

    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan
    in washtenaw county

    So I got caught with 4 grams of marijuana in my dorm room. The officer said he seen me smoking out of my window. This was impossible because I was sleeping. This was at 4 am. The officer came to my room and bitched me out and said i was smoking and he could smell it outside. I just complied because I had marijuana in my room and else he would assume I was lying. Then they asked me if i had alcohol and i complied and they took 4 fifths of vodka. They didn't exactly say if they were going to charge me with an mip though. I didn't receive any paper citations or anything, but I think that it's because of it being campus police.

    I'm a good student at university of michigan with no prior history.

    I wasn't actually smoking in my room. Do you think the officer would lie like it may have been a setup or something at 4am? He said it like he really believed that he seen me smoking out of my window.

    How much would it averagely cost in fines?

    Do I need a lawyer or can I get a public defender? Not sure if I can afford one

    I'm sure I will go through a diversion program. Will it ever go on my record?

    Is there a way I can fight some part of it with the fact that I wasn't actually smoking if i could possibly prove it?

    Also I myself don't have very much money. How much do you think it would cost to get an attorney?

    Do you think I could get a public defender? is it worth getting a public defender?

    I've saved up about 5k, but I still have to pay for school and I'm a college student. I'm listed as dependents of my parents for financial aid and they don't really have any money either. i have an efc of 0.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Michigan Marijuana Possession, First Offense

    Consult a local lawyer about a "7411" disposition (MCL 333.7411). If you cannot afford a lawyer, see if you can get a court-appointed lawyer.

    Crimes do go on your criminal record. If you get a 7411 disposition you'll have a deferred sentence and the opportunity to avoid a conviction if you complete your term of probation.

    I would not be even slightly concerned about using a public defender for this type of charge, particularly in a county like yours.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Drug Possession: Possession of Marijuana Second Offense, Michigan
    By aplotkowski3 in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
  2. Drug Possession: First Offense Citation for Marijuana Possession and Use in Michigan. 7411 or HYTA
    By herkie22 in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 08:28 PM
  3. Drug Possession: First Offense of Marijuana Possession in Michigan
    By nicky in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
  4. Drug Possession: Second Offense Possession of Marijuana in Michigan
    By KRS_Jr in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. Drug Possession: First Offense Marijuana Possession in Michigan
    By mailler in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Criminal Defense Attorney
Protect your freedom. Consult a criminal defense lawyer for free.