Default Getting Unemployment After Being Laid Off From Full-Time Job, Quitting Part-Time Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Georgia

I worked a full time job and part-time job (4 hrs & max. $36 per week) at the same time for almost 2 years. I was laid-off from the full time job and was entitled to max. weekly UI benefits. I quit the part time job (with 2 weeks notice) on the last day of actual work at the full time job. I quit because of so few hours with no more available and to concentrate on finding another full time job. There was two weeks severance from the full time job that ended two days before my last day with the part-time job.

Should I be entitled to receive UI benefits from the full-time job?

Thanks.

Default Re: Laid-Off F/T Job and Simultaneously Quit P/T Job

The only way to find out for sure is to apply. I am not familiar with GA UI but in several other states, if what you post is verifiable, you would not be disqualified. You might be penalized up to the amount of the part time earnings for some time but not DQ'd.

Thanks for posting.

Just to clarify, after reading other similar threads, I am afraid I will be labeled as "technically" having quit my part time job after my full time job (by about 2 days or maybe less time) so not eligible for the benefits from the full time job?

I can't find anything on the Georgia department's website that talks about this type of situation, but there is some info on being disqualified if you quit a "most recent employer" without what they say is good cause. Would that mean the part-time employer would be the most recent employer and disqualify me for benefits from either job?

I did find that I can earn up to $50/week without a reduction to any benefits from a previous full time job, but

Apply and find out. There is no penalty for being wrong, and it does not cost anything.

If you do apply, you might be granted benefits and you might not. If you are not, you will have the right of appeal.

If you do not apply because no one on a message board can give you a definitive answer, you definitely will not get benefits.

It seems like a no-brainer to me. Your mileage may vary.

1. Sponsored Links