Default Will Spouse's Felony Record Affect My Eligibility for a Security Clearance

My question involves a background check in the State of: Virginia

I'm up for a new job, one that I will likely be offered. They have mentioned that they'd like to clear me to TS/SCI.

My husband was convicted of felony marijuana possession with intent to distribute in November 2003. Will this prevent me from getting a clearance? I plan on being honest when asked about my spouse's history. I do know people that use marijuana occasionally, but I have not taken part in many, many years.

I also have some credit problems. A resolved judgement from 2004, and late payments. No bankruptcies, or major debt. I'd just like to know my chances of passing a clearance check. I'd rather not quit my current position if you think I'll fail.

Default Re: Will Spouses Felony from 8 Years Ago Effect My Clearance Process

TS/SCI are granted based on the "whole person" concept with the frame of reference that past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. Your husband will not be under investigation and the investigator will not be allowed to "open" an investigation on your spouse. Honesty is the best policy when dealing with your investigator. I would speculate that your husband's conviction 8 years ago is completely irrelevant to your clearance. If you are currently associating with drug users that might however, raise a flag. There is no way for anyone to know whether you will pass the clearance process without going through it.

1. Sponsored Links