Default Harassment Protection Order After a False Accusation

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Massachusetts

I was Verbally Served by a Police Officer with a Harassment Protection order on Sunday afternoon, the order states that i have to remain 100 yds away from my Girlfriends Ex-husband , and cannot go near his address . I have yet to get the actual paperwork , as the officer did not have it at the time.

My question being, the ex husband gets visitation with their children on the weekends. Yesterday we came back from a Movie , and he was already there to drop off the kids.. now in that situation, i am unsure what to do , becuase i cannot park or enter the house without being within 100 yds of his car. even in the house id be within 100 yds. I'm not going to place myself in a situation where i get arrested over somthing like this , but i feel i have the right to park my vehicle at my residence

As for the order itself , there is a court date for Friday , and i am planning to go , as anytime i have had any contact with him , is when he either drops or picks up the children , and he has police in civil standby every time , nothing has ever been documented as far as myself interacting with him .

There have been a couple of occasions where my girlfriend wanted to know where he would be staying with the kids ( he failed to give her an address or location ) and she asked me to take her and look for them. They were located at a McDonalds to confront him, and determine where they were staying , but i stayed in my vehicle outside , and didnt speak or interact with him in anyway.

2 Weekends ago , again he picked up the children , and she asked where he was taking them , He replied " i'll be on Post at XXXX, Stop by and say hi" though im sure that was a sarcastic statement , we did go to the location in question , watched a lacrosse tournament there ( that was open to the public) , and as we were leaving our vehicles crossed paths , he then proceded to locate a state trooper , and was seen talking to the trooper , as we left the area and headed back home.

None of the occasions that we have seen him outside of child pick up or drop off , have been Malicious , and he wasn't made by myself to feel intimidated , the only reason i accompany my girlfriend to the child exchange outside the residence , is a violent history between the two of them , and she feels safer with myself there , but i never talk to , or get involved with him during those times.

any ideas how to handle the 100 yard distance issue at the residence , and furthermore , does anything i describe sound like it fits harassment?

Default Re: Harassment Protection Order After a False Accusation

Your order says to stay away from him. The fact that you pop up at different locations with your partner is enough to warrant an arrest. If she doesn't feel safe around him, she needs to arrange for a safe exchange point. You can't adjust an order to fit your needs. The court has stepped in. As a result, if you breach the order, you have to face the judge.

Well i Respect and will follow what the judge orders , until such time as it changes , we have a hearing on Friday morning , and i have been able to get a copy of the affidavit that he filed for the Protection order , at least now i'll be able to defend myself against the allegations in the affidavit . Basically the affidavit states , that because we pulled into a fast food restaurant , saw he was there , and left , then we happened to pass him on the road about an hour later , now he feels fearful.

Though i do have a question , Obviously we will be in the same courtroom on Friday morning , that would not constitute a breach of the order would it ? we are both there to deal with the issue , and hopefully the request will be vacated at that time.

The courtroom is safe. But you need to leave before he does or give him enough time to get to his vehicle and leave after the hearing is over.

1. Sponsored Links