Default Wrong Date Listed on Federal Traffic Violation Citation

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Arizona

Greetings,

Yesterday 6/19/2011 I was going through the a National Monument park about 20 miles north of the border. I was stopped for speeding by the NPS. Come to find out my State License was suspended. I did not know this. I was driving with my wife and kids. Anyways, the officer served me a UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT violation notice for "Drive w/ License Suspended".

However, the officer put "06/18/2011 2:30" pm on my ticket. The actual time was 06/19/2011 at 2:30.

Since then, I have called the DMV and got my license reinstated. Come to find out my license was suspended for failure to pay a fine for a photo radar ticket from 4 years ago!!! I have been driving with a suspended for for years!!! I had no idea!

Anyways, the fine for this ticket I received is $587!

Do I have any recourse here to fight this ticket?

Many thanks

Default Re: The WRONG DATE on a United States District Court Violation Notice

This is from the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure:

Rule 52. Harmless and Plain Error

(a) Harmless Error.

Any error, defect, irregularity, or variance that does not affect substantial rights must be disregarded.

(b) Plain Error.

A plain error that affects substantial rights may be considered even though it was not brought to the court's attention.

Such as a wrong date, especially one day apart, would be a harmless error, although any irregularity can be offered as a reason for dismissal, but don't count on it.

My plan is to ask for a trial. After the officer gives his testamony, I will say that at the date and time I was in Mexico.
    I've never been to court before. I am an idiot when it comes to crap like this. What should one do? I mean. My license WAS in fact suspended, but honestly had no knowledge of it. But +$500 fine? Jesus.

Quote Quoting 93blazer
    View Post
    My plan is to ask for a trial. After the officer gives his testamony.
    That would be at trial, him giving testimony, it comes after entering a not guilty plea. If you mean a Jury trial, you are not entitled to any, as there is no jail time possible, so a Bench trial is the format.

I will say that at the date and time I was in Mexico
    What good will that do?? The officer will state he wrote the wrong date, then you will be asked where you were on the amended date?

1. Sponsored Links