Default Speeding Ticket While Merging Onto Highway with Higher Speed Limit

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: NY i was pulled over for speeding while merging from 55/mph Rt 6 to 65/mph Rt17 when ii got on the highway the police officer pulled me over about a mile up the road & issued a ticket for speeding & dwi. The ny state drivers manual clearly states that you should accelerate to highway speed do I have a case for a probale cause hearing? Their was no radar & the ticket was for 70 in a 55 which was rt6..

Default Re: Speeding Ticket While Merging Onto Highway with Higher Speed Limit

So your defense to speeding and drunk driving is that, although you were not yet in the process of merging into Route 17, you believe you had the right to speed up to 70 MPH on Route 6 because you intended to do so? I don't see that as working.

Quote Quoting Viper1969
    View Post
    My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: NY i was pulled over for speeding while merging from 55/mph Rt 6 to 65/mph Rt17 when ii got on the highway the police officer pulled me over about a mile up the road & issued a ticket for speeding & dwi. The ny state drivers manual clearly states that you should accelerate to highway speed do I have a case for a probale cause hearing? Their was no radar & the ticket was for 70 in a 55 which was rt6..
    The 65mph limit zone begins AFTER you pass the 65mph limit sign... And even then, you were clocked at 70mph which is in excess of the 65mph limit.

You'll have to come up with a better one!

Im merging to a highway that is 65 there is no sign yet,. & again their was not Radar so i wasnt clocked....

And? ......

it appears he clocked me on the ramp he was never on rt 6 . I take the road everyday so i know what the traffic is like on that road ive been offered a dui already due to certain conflicts.

Quote Quoting Viper1969
    View Post
    Im merging to a highway that is 65 there is no sign yet,.
    The fact that you were cited for 70mph in 55mph (the speed limit on Rt 6) would suggest that the violation happened on Rt 6 or on the ramp... Either way, you had not entered Rt 17, then you were still under the 55mph restriction. Just because the officer did not pull you over until a mile after you got on Rt 17 doesn't mean much. He could have been running your plate, looking for a safe spot to stop you... etc.

Either way, by clocking you at 70mph, in excess of BOTH, the 65mph speed limit AND the 55mph speed limit, the stop was likely good and your probable cause hearing won't get you much of anything.

Quote Quoting Viper1969
    View Post
    & again their was not Radar so i wasnt clocked....
    And where do you get the idea that "clocked" only applies when Radar is used?
    Quote Quoting Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    clock
    verb /klšk/ 
    clocked, past participle; clocked, past tense; clocking, present participle; clocks, 3rd person singular present

Attain or register (a specified time, distance, or speed)
    - Thomas has clocked up forty years service
    - the book clocks in at 989 pages

Achieve (a victory)
    - he clocked up his first win of the year

Record as attaining a specified time or rate
    - the tower operators clocked a gust of 185 mph

Hit (someone), esp. on the head
    - someone clocked him for no good reason

1. Sponsored Links