Default How Do I Go About Getting My Children Back After Giving Custody to Relatives

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Louisiana and florida

so heres a short version of a long story, i was 17 with two daughters and no one to help me in any way, my grand parents offered to keep the girls for a little while until i could get back on my feet as i was leaving my husband and had no where to go. in three months i had aquired a car and was working 2 jobs staying with friends saving money to get my own place. i talked to the girls and my grandparents everyday, my grandmother said she had pictures to send and needed my address but instead of pictures i received custody papers stating i had abandoned them and that she didnt know where i was.... i was scared to go to court since i didnt have my own place i didnt want to loose my parental right being proven an unfit mother..... it has now been 5 years and she never lets me see them threatening to call the cops if i go there, my daughters want to live with me and dont understand why they cant, i am now 24 and have recently bought a house, i am completely stabel and see no reason why i shouldnt have my daughters..... how do i go about this? do i have to hire an attorney or can i just take her to court? also she lives in a VERY small town where she went to school with the judge and knows every one i feel she can use this against me, i feel so helpless, please help me, anything.... thank you so much for taking the time to read this ........

Default Re: How Do I Go About Getting My Children Back

So grandma now has custody?

In which state?

Default Re: How Do I Go About Getting My Children Back

I'm in a similar situation. I empathize with you, and will be monitoring this thread with great interest.

Default Re: How Do I Go About Getting My Children Back After Giving Custody to Relatives

Assuming we're taking about a guardianship, you can petition for visitation, to modify and/or to terminate the guardianship with the court that issued the order for guardianship.

1. Sponsored Links