Default Modifying a Rental Agreement to Eliminate Tenant's Parking Space

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California (Hollywood)

Month-to-month rental agreement following completion of 1 year lease; parking in lease. Rent always paid.

Landlord demands my parking be relinquished immediately to assign to a vacant unit to make it more marketable.

No written or formal notice has been given by landlord.

Is a 60-day notice required for modification of rental agreement, since it's more than 1 year tenancy?

Landlord has threatened eviction, threatened to call the police, and reported lies to the city (I am a Sec 8 recipient.) This is a pre-1978 building.

Default Re: Modifying a Rental Agreement to Eliminate Tenant's Parking Space

If the initial lease term is over, such that the lease is now month-to-month, the general terms of the rental agreement can normally be modified on a month's (30 days) notice. If the landlord wants to terminate the tenancy, that is have you move out, sixty days notice is required under California Civil Code Sec. 1946.1. I suggest checking local ordinances to see how they might apply. It may also be possible to argue that this is a form of a rent increase, depending upon the full facts, the impact of which will depend upon the amounts and any prior increase.

1. Sponsored Links