My question involves traffic court in the State of: California
I lost my TBD for the citation referenced in the following post (3rd post in this thread):
I've read through pages of posts regarding request for discovery, and I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly and using the most updated forms and processes.
I should send Request for Discovery to:
Issuing agency - Los Angeles Police Department
LA County District Attorney - Steve Cooley
Anyone else?? Maybe the Los Angeles Metropolitan Court? They're the agency that has sent me all my paperwork thus far (e.g. citation papers, decision of TBD, etc.)
Should I be using these forms?
And if so...
- Do I send the "Basic" template form to both the LAPD and the LA County District Attorney (and possibly the Metropolitan Courthouse as well)
- I don't need the "Cover Letter", correct? (It states that I've already had contact with their office, which I haven't)
- Do I need to inform the LAPD that I've also submitted discovery request to the DA, and vice versa?
- Do I have to include the "Proof of Service", and do I send it to all agencies to which I send the Discovery Request? I Googled Proof of Service form and there seem to be a plethora of them. I just want to make sure I'm using the correct form and having someone else fill it out correctly. The proof of service form on helpigotaticket looks pretty informal.
- Assuming I use the basic form, do I need to request any additional information on that form other than what's listed? The template requests:
"A list of all witnesses for the prosecution."
"A copy of all of Officer <Officer’s name>’s notes on this case including copies of the front and back of the officer’s copy of the ticket."
Do I need to add a bullet point that request the officers declaration from the TBD? How exactly would that be worded?
Thanks in advance for the advice!