Angry My Snoring Neighbor Keeps Me Awake. Can I Break My Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

I moved into a double unit May 1, 2011 only to find out that my downstairs neighbor snores so loud it keeps me awake at night. I can hear her snore, stop snoring, come back to snoring and waking herself up because she's snoring so loud. I have tried drawning her out with music, sleeping with ear plugs, sleeping in the spare room, but all these things have not worked and especially the music and ear plugs keeps me awake, because it is not my norm in getting rest. I have discussed this with the landlord, he said he spoke to her, she was scheduled to meet with her dr to be examined for getting the machine to help with the snoring. The landlord was going to look into insualation for the floors between the apartments. Which by the way is shot, because I can hear her conversations and I'm sure she can hear mine. Anyway, since discussing this issue with him a few weeks back, I have gotten no relief and when he sees me, he goes running the opposite direction. So, my understanding is that he is avoiding. I need to know what my recourse is at this point? I can't see staying in a years lease and putting up with this for the duration. I work fulltime and beginning school fulltime. Can I break my lease under these circumstances. By the way the previous tenant told me that she told the landlord about the same issue before. I am sure other tenants complained. Theres's just no way this is the first time he's heard about it. The downstairs tenant has been there for about 6 years from my understanding.

Default Re: My Snoring Neighbor Keeps Me Awake. Can I Break My Lease

Can I break my lease under these circumstances.
    Unlikely. Your neighbor's snoring, while inconvenient for you, does not render your unit completely uninhabitable. You need to submit a request to your landlord for improved insulation between apartments IN WRITING, and keep doing it until he fixes that. You might also speak with your neighbor and suggest she try a waterless vaporizer (like Vick's Soothing Vapors) to help ease her snoring.

In the inbetween, I would suggest you either purchase a white noise machine or, if you have an Android phone, download the free Lightning Bug application and use that. (I use the latter, my husband snores like a FREIGHT TRAIN, and it works a treat in combo with the Soothing Vapors.)

1. Sponsored Links