Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Long Does the Texas Emancipation Process Take

I will be 17 in 2 months, Have a GED, Work full time, and rent a room from a girl I met on Craigslist. I'm already completely independent from my mother as it is, the only reason I want to be emancipated is because I want to move out of state. My mother fully consents to my emancipation.

Do I have a good chance of being emancipated? I've heard the process took a while...
    Also I don't have a contract or anything with the woman I am staying with, I pay her upfront in cash every month. So how do I show proof that I am supporting myself, Will my mother need to be there?

Default Re: How Long Does the Texas Emancipation Process Take

I just have one quick question for you, mesha

Are you earning enough to pay full market rent, utilities etc.,?

At least on the surface you would appear to have a better case than most - but there's a reason for my question.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Are you earning enough to pay full market rent, utilities etc.,?
    What is full market rent? The full rent on a 4 bedroom house in a good school district or the full rent on an efficiency in a seedy part of town?

Quote Quoting mesha
    View Post
    the only reason I want to be emancipated is because I want to move out of state.
    So do you want to be emancipated so that you can sign a lease if you move out of state? I am just trying to figure out why you need to be emancipated.

Quote Quoting Harriet
    View Post
    What is full market rent? The full rent on a 4 bedroom house in a good school district or the full rent on an efficiency in a seedy part of town?

Read the other emancipation threads.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Read the other emancipation threads.
    I know the answer to my question. I was just trying to help to spell it out to the OP.

Quote Quoting Harriet
    View Post
    I know the answer to my question. I was just trying to help to spell it out to the OP.

So why don't you simply help the OP?

Here, let me help.

OP, you need to be able to prove to the court that you can provide - given that you are a single person with no dependents - at least the average market rent for a one-bedroom apartment; utilities for same; your own clothing, healthcare and transportation, incidentals, and be able to prove that you are capable of handling your own financial matters accordingly.

Please realize, OP, that even if you are legally emancipated in Texas, this doesn't mean that a landlord - either in Texas OR wherever it is you wish to move - is legally obliged to rent to you.

I Pay $450 a monthly right now, the most I could even THINK of paying is $500. I know i wouldn't be living in luxury or anything. Wherever I do go I plan to just rent a room out of someones house like I do now.
    I can handle all my own expenses. Rent, Food, Clothing, etc. To be honestly BARELY, But i don't have to have the best clothes or a fridge stuffed to the brim I definitely know how to save. And I've been doing it for months already.
    If its going to be time consuming I can wait till I turn 18, If it will only take a matter of months then I want to jump on it ASAP.

can someone answer

Quote Quoting mesha
    View Post
    I Pay $450 a monthly right now, the most I could even THINK of paying is $500. I know i wouldn't be living in luxury or anything. Wherever I do go I plan to just rent a room out of someones house like I do now.
    I can handle all my own expenses. Rent, Food, Clothing, etc. To be honestly BARELY, But i don't have to have the best clothes or a fridge stuffed to the brim I definitely know how to save. And I've been doing it for months already.
    If its going to be time consuming I can wait till I turn 18, If it will only take a matter of months then I want to jump on it ASAP.

I'm not sure you could convince a judge.

You don't say which county (which could change things drastically), but a quick search tells us that the average rental for a one-bedroom apartment in Texas starts at around $600/month.

Then on top of that, you'd be expected to pay all of your utilities, transportation, health insurance, clothing, food...everything.

And then there's the timing. By the time this would likely be heard, you'd be coming up to 18 anyway. In all honesty it might be wisest to stay put for now. And then when you're 18, you'll actually be able to go ahead regardless.

The biggest factor is how quickly and diligently you file, serve and pursue your motion, and whether you do everything correctly. Secondarily, you have the issue of the court's docket - that is, when the court can schedule your case for hearing and how quickly the judge can render a decision after the hearing. A third factor is your parents - mom approves emancipation, but we haven't yet heard whether dad is in the picture or if he would oppose the petition. I would expect that if you prosecute your motion diligently you can get it resolved within six weeks to three months of filing; individual results will vary depending on the previously described factors.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast