Default A Friend Shorted the Register Whilst Using My Credit Card

My question involves criminal law for the state of: MD

Someone and I were in a store (they were doing all of the shopping). We get to the self checkout area. They ask if they can use my card to pay and give me the difference in cash and I agree. I owed them some money from when we went to a restaurant, I only had plastic and the place couldn't split the bill.

Later on, I learned they had "shorted" the self checkout by only scanning a fraction of the items. Basically I commented on how the charge was so low for so many items and they admitted to doing it.

I'm a bit concerned because:

A- Theft took place

B- If I were in charge of the corporate cop dept., I'd make sure the self checkout lanes were videotaped and reviewed pretty well.

C- My name could be tied to the incident via the card info

Any suggestions as to what to do would be helpful. I also apologize for the vague language. The help box at the top advised me to leave out details that could compromise anonymity.

Default Re: Someone Shorts the Register Whilst Using My Card

Either the police will contact you or they won't. If they do, there may be video of the transaction that will establish that you weren't the purchaser but that you handed off the card, and you may find yourself being asked to identify your friend and/or to explain why you shouldn't be regarded as an accomplice.

Quote Quoting pseu do nym
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: MD

Someone and I were in a store (they were doing all of the shopping). We get to the self checkout area. They ask if they can use my card to pay and give me the difference in cash and I agree. I owed them some money from when we went to a restaurant, I only had plastic and the place couldn't split the bill.

Later on, I learned they had "shorted" the self checkout by only scanning a fraction of the items. Basically I commented on how the charge was so low for so many items and they admitted to doing it.

I'm a bit concerned because:

A- Theft took place

B- If I were in charge of the corporate cop dept., I'd make sure the self checkout lanes were videotaped and reviewed pretty well.

C- My name could be tied to the incident via the card info

Any suggestions as to what to do would be helpful. I also apologize for the vague language. The help box at the top advised me to leave out details that could compromise anonymity.
    They probably won't do anything about it. Honestly, the odds are they won't notice until inventory on a certain item comes up short, which could be a few days. By the time that happens, they aren't going to scour video from god knows how many cameras to try and find some shrink. In the end, they will probably just write it off as a loss. Even if they do narrow it down to your receipt, with your story being true they probably wouldn't have any trouble just getting your friend on it, but I doubt that it would even get that far.

I thank you both for your opinions.

1. Sponsored Links