Default I Have a Sealed Record. Does Record of My Arrest Still Exist

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nevada

I'm trying to get my security guard work card. The application asks if I have ever been arrested. I got arrested for allegedly stealing his car, talked to the victim (my friend)and he dropped the charges before it went to court.

The language at the end of my sealed record seems to say now that it is sealed I have never been arrested

I'm not sure if I should put down my arrest or check NO because legally I have never been arrested.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: I Have a Sealed Record. Does Record of My Arrest Still Exist

if you are not sure tell the truth. every company use different data bases. you can never tell if it would show up. and even if he dropped the charges and you went to court it will most likley show up during a security check

If you were arrested but never convicted because your friend dropped the charges before trial, then how did your record get sealed if you were never convicted in the first place?

Are you confused with an arrest record that you do have, or a criminal record that you don't have?

Depending on how deep the prospective employer digs, they may, or may not find the arrest record. If you do have a criminal record, they don't have to dig far because the record will jump out and slap them in the face.

I spent a day in jail. I will be checked by the Nevada Criminal History Records Repository and FBI

Form their site

Sealing of records prohibits access to criminal record information
    except to employees of the Repository for record management purposes, a party or agency for an
    authorized search as provided for in Nevada Revised Statutes or a party authorized pursuant to a court
    order.

I'm not is this means they can look at my record for not telling them. I do not have a criminal record I might have an arrest record.
    I'm guarded because I do not want a potential employer to know I was arrested. If I had any felony conviction I could forget about ever getting the card.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure the application asks "were you ever arrested", or doe's it ask "have you ever been convicted of a crime or misdemeanor"?

They changed the law here, you no longer get a referral form an employer for the work card. Now we go thru the Private Investigator Licensing Board to apply fora a work card (It is not a license). It is part of local government and the application clearly says "have you EVER been arrested, indicted, received a citation (Ticket), or been ordered to appear in court for any criminal offense.

I really wish it said "have you ever been convicted of a crime or misdemeanor"? I do not have a conviction so the answer would be NO. But that's not what they are asking.

Thank for the help.

You must answer "YES" on the application, no ifs ands or buts about it.

If the application would have added "that has not been sealed, discharged or expunged" then you could have answered no.

Thank you, I was getting that feeling. I should ask them if they will accept a copy of the decision. It looks like I will be ok they are only looking for convitons. If I was convicted I would have to wait at least 10 - 15 years to have it sealed. My record was sealed well before 10 years.

Thanks for help.

Answer YES. You can also write "Will explain". I would also get a Certified Copy of Judgment from the court that handled the case/arrest.

Quote Quoting KCR
    View Post
    My record was sealed well before 10 years.
    I still doesn't understand why you keep saying your record has been sealed?

If you say that your record has been sealed, that means to me that you were ether found guilty at trial or plead guilty to a crime and had the record sealed after waiting a specific period of time.

You cannot seal something that doesn't exist. If the DA dropped charges against you, there is nothing to seal.

1. Sponsored Links