Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default How to Get Arrears Forgiven and Dismissed

    My question involves child support in the State of: IA

    Is this possible? I hear quite a bit about it.
    Had a typical 80's relationship, never married, finally separated and went separate ways. I paid child support up until recently when I lost my job. (6months out now). they are only after the arrears.

    the mother never used the money for what it was intended for (common tale). My oldest confirmed that, and to boot told him and his brother that the reason why she had no money is because I never paid. So when he came up, I showed him all my check stubs for the last 15+years. He had a suspicion that I did, but now its in stone.

    I tried contacting the support, they said they wanted to help (ya right). They said just send $20/mo if that's all you can afford. So I thought, sure I can rummage up a $20 on occasion. Week later the suspended my driving privileges and I cannot tag a car. Nice help.

    I dont even know what arrears are, unless they are referring to payments when me and her were together. But aside from this. both the boys are in their upper 20's and have their own kids.

    How can you get arrears lowered or forgiven. Specially now when I need to get back to work (out of the hospital now), and having 51% of my check taken is worse than not even going.

    Or are there other options? I have always paid - even when i found out years ago she was pocketing it. I figure as long as I was doing what I was supposed too.. that's all that matters. Its too bad the boys never got any of it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: How to Get Arrears Forgiven and Dismissed

    You can ask your ex- to forgive the money you owe. If she says "no," then that's the answer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: How to Get Arrears Forgiven and Dismissed

    its that simple? what about court? affidavit? does she call it in? how does that process work. I think I could get her to do that. but I do not know the process. I always thought the arrears were state ordered, not in the control of the "mother".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: How to Get Arrears Forgiven and Dismissed

    If the arrears are owed to your ex then it is in her control as long as there is some consideration for forgiving the arrears. Some could will not allow the arrears just to be wiped away without someother consideration.
    If the arrears in full or part is owed to the state for public assistance reimbursement then the state has control on those arrears and will more than likely not negotiate.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Support Arrears: Released from Prison and Now Have a Huge Amount to Pay, How Can I Have This Forgiven
    By catsam in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
  2. Support Arrears: Arrears Obligation on a Large Arrears Balance
    By danansue0214 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
  3. Support Arrears: Can Forgiven Child Support Arrears Be Reenacted
    By chenoaa in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
  4. Can Back Taxes Be Forgiven
    By karibs in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
  5. Debt Collectors: Do I Have To Pay Back A Forgiven Loan From My Mother
    By gaylb2001 in forum Debts and Collections
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.