Default Infant Name Change to Mothers Last Name or Hyphenated, if Father Wont Agree

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Florida

Our son is 2 months old.
    I believe that for many reasons changing our sons last name to mine would be very beneficial to him. The father is an abusive alcoholic and I would like to prove him unfit until he has sought professional help and is sober.
    I have an older son from a previous marriage and we both have the same last name (my maiden, the ex didn't want to be a father and fled).
    I just want to make sure the boys have the same last name as each other and me as well.
    I know out of spite the father will contest this, could I at least do a hyphenated version without him agreeing??

Default Re: Infant Name Change-to Mothers Last Name or at Least Hyphenated,father Wont Agree

Quote Quoting flgirl2011
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Florida

Our son is 2 months old.
    I believe that for many reasons changing our sons last name to mine would be very beneficial to him. The father is an abusive alcoholic and I would like to prove him unfit until he has sought professional help and is sober.
    I have an older son from a previous marriage and we both have the same last name (my maiden, the ex didn't want to be a father and fled).
    I just want to make sure the boys have the same last name as each other and me as well.
    I know out of spite the father will contest this, could I at least do a hyphenated version without him agreeing??

Per your other thread, you have no proof that he's unfit.

That aside, the court really won't care that you and your other son have a different last name from your newborn - do you realize how many blended families are living in the US who share 2, 3 or or even 4 different last names and are coping marvelously with that?

Hyphenation is realistically the best you can hope for - and you will need to do that through the court. If Dad objects, you'll have to show why it's in the child's best interest. Given that the child is only a couple of months old (and therefore has no knowledge or comprehension of even the concept of "last name being different"), you may have an uphill battle.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Infant Name Change to Mothers Last Name or Hyphenated, if Father Wont Agree

Quote Quoting flgirl2011
    View Post
    The father is an abusive alcoholic

the ex didn't want to be a father and fled).
    I posted this before but it got deleted. It is worth repeating - how did you get yourself into the situation where you have 2 children by 2 different men one of which didn't want to be a father and fled and the other is an abusive alcoholic?

You have bigger things to worry about than changing your kid's name. Seriously, spend your time getting some counseling so you can make sure you don't have yet another child by another man who either doesn't want the child or has substance abuse problems.

1. Sponsored Links