Default Underlying Ownership of Rights of Way

My question involves an easement in the state of: Idaho
    The state purchased a right of way on a strip of land adjacent to my property in 1939. No taxes have been paid since then, and now a heir of the former owner is now claiming ownership of the underlying property, and has now quit-claimed it to someone else. The State still has the right of way. I want to use the right of way for a driveway. Doesn't ownership revert to adjoiners, not to the original underlying owners??

Default Re: Underlying Ownership of Rights of Way

is the state intending on abandoning the ROW?

is the land being used for anything currently? if so, by whom?

The State does not plan on abandoning the ROW. It is currently being used as a stock drive for mostly sheep. I have also been using it as a driveway, but the entity that is now claiming the underlying ownership is now saying that I cannot use it anymore. I do not believe that they have that right.

Doesn't ownership revert to adjoiners, not to the original underlying owners??
    If there was only a ROW purchased, the underlying owner never relinquished ownership. As such, there is no reverting of ownership. It has always remained owned by the same entity.

Unless the state exerts their rights to utilize the ROW, the servient tenant (underlying owner) has control over the land. If you have been using it long enough, you may have a claim for a prescriptive easement but other than that, you have no rights to the property.

It would also be interesting to know:

How long the OP has been using the driveway. As jk points out, there may be a prescriptive easement here.

The purpose of the right of way grant to the state (DOT, DNR, etc.) , the width, if it is a dedicated public right of way, and if so, for what purpose.

It would also be very important to know how the parcel owned by the OP was created and how it is described in the deed. If it was conveyed to the OP or predecessors using language calling for the right of way as a boundary, it is possible, depending on the specific language, that the boundary is the centerline of the right of way.

1. Sponsored Links