Default Medicaid Lien

I live in a house that has medicaid lein on it I was told by medicaid that if the daughter puts her name on the house deed that she will be forced paying the lein
    I live in NJ

Default Re: Medicaid Lein

If your goal is to get your daughter out of having to pay the lien, then stop using Medicaid. At least the lien won't increase. Your daughter can then pay your medical bills or you can just do without medical care. Or sell the house to her now at market value and let her pay the lien as part of the mortgage process. You then use the money from the sale to live on and pay your own medical bills and move into an apartment.

As it stands, you are getting free medical care without being forced to sell your home but the goverment (who is lending you the cost of medical care) would like to recoup their money someday. If you don't want the obligation, don't accept Medicaid.

I was told by medicaid if she moves in that she would have to pay the lein cause she hasnt lived in this house for years it hasnt been her residence the daughter wants to try to get her name on the deed so it doesnt go to the government but I was told if she gets her name on the deed the lein amount she will get stuck paying for it i guess its because its considered a transfer the daughter is not on medicaid but the medicaid lein does exist cause of the grandmom that was on it so will Medicaid make her pay that lein off if she puts her name on the house deed?

so will Medicaid make her pay that lein off if she puts her name on the house deed?
    Most likely she will have to pay it off before she can get her name on the deed. The lien amount will have to be deducted before any successor in title can get title.

This is a good example of how an attorney might have been valuable in heading off such an event. A few thousand of dollars up front might have saved far more later. It worked for my parents.

can a lawyer fight off the lein of a house thats been existing for years? the grandmother died in 2003 the lein has been on the house since

1. Sponsored Links