Default Deferred Speeding Ticket Ruined by New Speeding Ticket? (WA)

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington.

The first speeding ticket was in April 2010. That one was deferred in June or July 2010. I received this new one today, May 28th 2011.

The officer said i was doing 80mph on I-5, but he said he would cut me a break by putting on the ticket that my speed was only 70mph.

I have posted the ticket below. What should I do? What are my chances of getting this dismissed or what can I do to prevent this ticket from affecting my deferred finding?

Default Re: Deferred Speeding Ticket Ruined by New Speeding Ticket? (WA)

I never go for a deferral, always contest. Your post highlights why. You have to do discovery etc...

How long needed for a deferral; if 1 yr I wonder if you delay the outcome past 1 yr, then you would be OK.

Quote Quoting emseahays
    View Post
    What should I do? What are my chances of getting this dismissed or what can I do to prevent this ticket from affecting my deferred finding?
    It looks like you've been through here before and should know what to by now: request Discovery, and when you receive it, post it here in this thread and the WA experts will chime in.

Thank you sir! You are right, I am somewhat familiar with this forum because I posted here for myself a number of months ago, but I am posting for a friend now in a similar situation, not for myself. Thank you for replying.

Since this is going to be a super-jammer (2 tickets in 1 really) you may wish to consider beginning an investigation in the hopes that they do not cooperate & violate the court's discovery rules. A dismissal is likely the only relief a court would order.

Read the discovery rules & you'll see this is allowed.

Default Re: Deferred Speeding Ticket Ruined by New Speeding Ticket

Hello, I have a similar situation. My lawyer get me deferral on Nov 2010 and I just got another speeding ticket on June 16 2011. the Nov 2010 deferral is from Bothell court and the recent one is for Issaquah court. The ticket is for 65 on 60 mph on I405. will Issaquah court able to know I that I have a deferral from Bothell court?

My lawyer didn't specify on the term of the deferral. I might have to call him on this but I just wonder what are my options. Thanks

Default Re: Deferred Speeding Ticket Ruined by New Speeding Ticket

Quote Quoting roni
    View Post
    Hello, I have a similar situation. My lawyer get me deferral on Nov 2010 and I just got another speeding ticket on June 16 2011. the Nov 2010 deferral is from Bothell court and the recent one is for Issaquah court. The ticket is for 65 on 60 mph on I405. will Issaquah court able to know I that I have a deferral from Bothell court?

My lawyer didn't specify on the term of the deferral. I might have to call him on this but I just wonder what are my options. Thanks
    Fact: deferral was available to you for free. You wasted your money on a lawyer to ask for something the judge would have given you if you were eligible, which you clearly were.

That said, the terms of deferral in King county are as follows: You must not be convicted of a new traffic infraction within one year of the date of your deferral, or you will have to pay the original fine for the deferred ticket, and both will go on your record.

Your best bet is the advice given above: Contest the ticket, file for discovery, and post the response here to let people who know how to handle this stuff (for free) have a whack at it.

If you can keep the second ticket from a conviction, then your first ticket's deferral will be intact. Bottom line, you should give it a chance on here if you don't want to be out the $$$ more than you paid for an nu-necessary lawyer. We all make similar mistakes. I figured out that I didn't need a lawyer for a ticket in 2008 after I had already hired him. Oops. I paid $250 for a ticket that should have been $0. I figured out what argument he planned to use, and told him so. He said "yup", and still kept my $250.

1. Sponsored Links