Lightbulb Pulling Out in Front of Vehicle Going in Same Lane Direction

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Florida, Orange County.

After looking to make sure there was no one coming in the lane I wanted to enter, I merged into traffic to my right, entering into the flow of traffic in the left most lane. After having already entered traffic and moving forward, a car in the middle lane scrapped the right side of my car while apparently talking on his cell phone, its not clear if he wanted to change lanes or simply sucks at staying in his but he was still talking on his cellphone without hands free when we pulled over and got out.

Anyway, very minor cosmetic dmg with no witnesses, but the trooper assigned blame to me saying it was my responsibility to yield to traffic. A point which I am well aware, but the thing is I was already in traffic and it was the other driver's negligence that caused the accident in the first place, at what point after entering traffic am I considering part of it? Surely other drivers don't have a free license to run into anyone they see that recently got onto the highway?

Any information that might help me if I wanted to goto court to address the civil penalty? I find it hard to believe that despite doing nothing wrong I'm now liable for damages to both cars, insurance rate spikes and a $164 civil penalty... Thats not even counting the day's wages I lose for going to court instead regardless if I win or lose. I thought the legal system was suppose to aid in the pursuit of justice, could it really be so blind to this type of abuse?

Really makes a guy wanna drive into unsuspecting traffic as they enter the highway, "Sorry Officer I thought they would yield when I changed lanes into them"

Default Re: Pulling Out in Front of Vehicle Going in Same Lane Direction

I'm not clear on how the accident occurred. If you were merging into the left lane, how did part of your car end up in the middle lane? If you were merging into the middle lane, how did you manage to avoid seeing the car with which you collided?

The other driver drifted from the middle lane over into the left lane which I had just merged into from the median area.

But it would appear that's not the story he gave - it would appear that he said he was either already entering or in that lane when you hit him, or that you hit him while he remained in the center lane. It would appear that the officer found his version of events more credible.

We're reduced to guessing, so I suggest discussing the details of your case with a traffic lawyer in your state.

1. Sponsored Links