Default Divorce and Military Retirement Benefits

My question involves a marriage in the state of:TN

Can retirement pay be waived by the non-military spouse in a divorce in Tennessee? Can you point me to a reference area that shows this?

Default Re: Divorce and Military Retirement Benefits

What do you mean? Do you mean, in a property settlement for a divorce, can a spouse take other assets in lieu of a share of retirement benefits or choose not to take a share of retirement benefits? Of course. You want a cite for what, exactly - the parties' right to settle their case and divide the marital estate in a mutually agreeable manner?

Yes, I'm trying to find out if retirement benefits can be waived by the spouse in lieu of other assetts. AS for a cite, I'm trying to find a reference thast states this can be waived and has a precedent of being don ein other cases. Thanks

Quote Quoting sleeprn69
    View Post
    Yes, I'm trying to find out if retirement benefits can be waived by the spouse in lieu of other assetts. AS for a cite, I'm trying to find a reference thast states this can be waived and has a precedent of being don ein other cases. Thanks
    You don't need a precedent or a cite. If the two of you agree to that, then the judge will sign off on it. The two of you can agree to anything you like as far as a property settlement is concerned. If the two of you are not in agreement, then its not going to happen.

So, what is the backstory here? If your spouse isn't in agreement then give up on the issue.

Thanks. Just trying to get clarification. We had agreed on things then she talked to an attorney who told her it was mandated by law that she had to get my retirement pay and had to get alimony etc..

Quote Quoting sleeprn69
    View Post
    Thanks. Just trying to get clarification. We had agreed on things then she talked to an attorney who told her it was mandated by law that she had to get my retirement pay and had to get alimony etc..
    It sounds to me like the attorney talked her out of "agreeing". Its sounds to me like the attorney did not feel that the agreement was fair.

It looks like you no longer have an agreement.

1. Sponsored Links