Default How to Get Out of a Dubious Contract

So heres the story: While at my university, I was approached by an individual who was promoting an 'incredible deal' concerning extreme sports activities, such as surfing, motocross, and skydiving. Identifying himself as an 'xtremesocal' agent, he explained this deal to me and that if I bought it, I would be able to participate in many of these extreme activities for a minimal fee of $100.

Being a selfish stupid college student, I couldn't help but let him talk me into it and take advantage of this 'offer'. The agent then pressed my debit card against the receipt and I continued to sign it, effectively giving him access to my checking account.

This happened earlier today. Now I realized that this whole thing looks shady.

Here's their website: http://www.xtremesocal.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XtremeSoCal/164455147009

Here's the actual image of the contract, personal details blacked out: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/img9330.jpg/

Now, they have my canceled debit card, name, student ID number, ZIP code, and signature.

However, I DID NOT place a check mark next to "I agree to pay a 1 time fee..." BUT there is a signature at the bottom.

If there is no check mark agreeing to the charge, does the contract still have legal weight? Can I still be sued for not paying?

And what is the legal status of this contract (with a fraudulent company)?

Default Re: Gave My Debit Card Information to a Stranger. and Signed a Contract (Ca)

so, why do you have a different contract when you posted this on a different advice website? It makes it look like you are attempting to advertise for that company.

http://i.imgur.com/paAkh.jpg

Default Re: How to Get Out of a Dubious Contract

If the contract is for a one-time fee or five monthly installments, and you pay the one-time fee such that no additional charges are due, by virtue of the terms of your contract you could contest any further charges.

If you want to try to get a refund from the company (which, let's face it, is your employer - but others may read this thread), call them and ask for a refund. The "three day cooling off" period may apply if the person solicited you at your home, but not if you're walking down the hall at a college.

Default Re: Gave My Debit Card Information to a Stranger. and Signed a Contract (Ca)

Why would I call the company a scam if I'm trying to advertise?

Quote Quoting james32844
    View Post
    Why would I call the company a scam if I'm trying to advertise?
    it gets the people to read the literature and visit the website. That's the first rule of advertising; get yourself noticed. You can deal with the minor details like one of the principals of the company calling their own company a scam with all the shiny things on the website. People will forget all about your statement when they see shiny things.

1. Sponsored Links