Question How Do I Know Whether My Criminal Record is Sealed and or Expunged

My question involves criminal records for the state of: NY

I was arrested when I was 17 for shoplifting. I plead guilty to a Misdemeanor and have stayed out of trouble since. I was sentenced to 5 hours of community service (which I completed). My question is whether or not I have to disclose this information on job applications etc. How do I know whether it has been expunged and or sealed? Is there a way for me to find out?

Default Re: How Do I Know Whether My Criminal Record is Sealed and or Expunged

If you were convicted of a crime as an adult in New York, the conviction was not expunged or sealed as New York does not provide for the expungement or sealing of criminal convictions. (Why did you end up pleading guilty to a misdemeanor instead of an infraction?)

Whether you would need to disclose your criminal history on a job application will depend upon the question asked.

Thank you for your reply Mr. Knowitall. I plead guilty because that is what the public defender told me to do. I was young and naive. To make matters worse, the amount of stolen items didn't even exceed $100, and from my understanding the value of the items plays a huge role in determining the charge of the crime. I understand if I was convicted as an adult it would not be expunged, but I plead guilty and was charged at the age of 17 - so technically I was still a minor. Does this make a difference?

A conviction in adult court is an adult conviction.

1. Sponsored Links