Default Ruptured Brain Aneurysm During Employment

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: New York City.

My mother was an housekeeping YMCA employee at an New York City branch.

She died from a ruptured brain aneurysm on October 2010.

From the surveillance tapes at the YMCA facility, it shows that she entered the female locker restroom at 12:30 and she was not found by fellow co-workers until after 3:00pm when the Ambulance had arrived.

1. Is it a viable case to sue YMCA for not being able to find my mother in time?

2. Will it matter if I am to prove that the YMCA staff's lack of emergency procedures have partially contributed to my mother's death?

3. What about the delay in providing immediate aide to my mother?

4. Would it matter if the private bathroom does not have an emergency alert button?

I do not wish to waste tax-payers dollars if there is no case, but if anyone has any insight or advice, please let me know.

Default Re: Ruptured Brain Aneurysm During Employment

1. Why would it be their responsibility?

2. What proof do you have of that? Aneurysms are frequently fatal, and death can occur within seconds.

3. Were they obliged to do so?

4. ...if your mother had an aneurysm, chances are she would have become unconscious immediately.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the insightful responses. My family and I have so many questions.

1. Would it matter if a fellow co-worker informed the manager that my mother was not present during their usual lunch date on that specific day? I just don't understand why the Y does not have any emergency protocols to locate missing employees in a timely manner. It took them 3 hours to locate my mother. I cannot imagine with the amount of customers going in and out of the Y facilities, they would not have emergency guidelines.

I understand that there are no mandatory policy in knowing where each employee's location are at any given time. However, I am concerned why the manager did not look at the timecard sooner to verify if my mother was still within the Y facility.

2. I understand that a ruptured brain aneurysm can be fatal within a short period of time. I am not sure if I am wrong to believe that my mother could of had been saved if she was found earlier. I would of had preferred to take care of her for the rest of my life, but I was never given that chance. I have read so many post-ruptured brain aneurysm survivors' stories that they have been saved since they were found earlier. I can understand that in law, what-ifs are rather difficult to prove.

3. If the Y or all public facilities would install a simple $500 emergency alert system, it may or not may save anyone's life. But I would like to believe that even if it can save one person's life, it is well worth the expenses of installing and training staff members on such emergency alert devices.

Well, what you can do is get your Mom's medical records and speak with a local med-mal attorney. The consultation will generally be free, and they will review all of the facts.

If there is a case, it will be taken on contingency.

I'm very sorry for your loss - but I truly don't see that you have any legal recourse against the Y.

However, I am concerned why the manager did not look at the timecard sooner to verify if my mother was still within the Y facility.
    maybe because she was a good employee and he didn't feel the need to check on her for every little problem. He most likely figured she could explain herself and he was fine with that.

If the Y or all public facilities would install a simple $500 emergency alert system, it may or not may save anyone's life
    .I don't know what sort of emergency alert system you think you can get and installed for $500 but you are more than welcome to donate that amount of money for the specific installation of whatever system you have in mind.

bottom line; the Y management did nothing wrong here. It was simply a terrible situation and nobody is at fault. You need to get beyond the blaming stage or you will never heal from this.

What did the autopsy say about the aneurysm? For instance, was it a major vessel and if so, what was the name of the blood vessel?

Quote Quoting Harriet
    View Post
    What did the autopsy say about the aneurysm? For instance, was it a major vessel and if so, what was the name of the blood vessel?

Rupture of internal right carotid artery of the brain. 2mm.

Quote Quoting GardenOfHope
    View Post
    Rupture of internal right carotid artery of the brain. 2mm.
    Don't get your hopes up that Harriet will respond. She was banned for giving terrible advice and general contrariness.

1. Sponsored Links