Hybrid View

Default Tenant Owes More Than Security Deposit, Can I Keep Money Other Money Owed

My question involves a security deposit in the State of: Minnesota

I owe my tenant a few hundred dollars for work paid directly on the home. He recently moved out and left damages that far exceed the security deposit. Can I keep the money that I owed him for the work since it, combined with the security deposit, still doesn't come close to covering the damages?

Default Re: Tenant Owes More Than Security Deposit, Can I Keep Money Other Money Owed

I guess ... you going to sue him for the rest? If he files suit against you for the $$, file a counterclaim.

Default Re: Tenant Owes More Than Security Deposit, Can I Keep Money Other Money Owed

You will want to follow your state's security deposit laws, and give your ex-tenant timely and proper notice of your disposition of his deposit.

You don't have the automatic right to apply other money that you owe to him to the damage to his unit, but if he sues you to recover the money you owe you can countersue for that excess.

1. Sponsored Links