Default Vehicle Code Code Interpretation

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California

California VC40222. The processing agency shall terminate proceedings on a notice of a delinquent parking violation or violations in all of the following cases:

(b) If the notice of a delinquent parking violation or violations was returned to the processing agency pursuant to Section 4764 and five years have elapsed since the date of the last violation. The termination under this subdivision is by the running of a statute of limitation of proceedings.

Does this subsection mean that, after 5 years or so, the statute of limitations runs out on outstanding parking tickets? That after 5 or so years go by, they get cancelled out? If I am reading this all wrong, please correct me and tell me what I'm not seeing here. Thanks!

Default Re: Vehicle Code Code Interpretation

You're missing this:
    Effect of Transfer or Nonrenewal
    4764. Whenever a vehicle is transferred or not renewed for two renewal periods and the former registered owner or lessee of the vehicle owes a parking penalty for a notice of delinquent parking violation filed with the department pursuant to Section 40220, the department shall notify each jurisdiction of that fact and is not required thereafter to attempt collection of the undeposited parking penalty and administrative fees.

I believe it simply means that if vehicle's ownership is transferred or the vehicle's registration is not renewed for two years, an outstanding parking ticket is returned from collections to the processing agency. If 5 years elapse after the date of the last outstanding parking ticket, then the outstanding parking tickets are no longer valid. However, if the vehicle is registered within those 5 years, the processing agency can go after you.

To give an example then- just to be clear...Pretend you are 45 yrs. old ..According to this vehicle code, the city wouldn't be able to collect on those 33 parking tickets you got in the Ford during high school & college - if you'd just left it on the side of the road after that wreck in '95. However, since you decided to keep it in your name and restore it instead, each one of those tickets are still valid and able to be enforced by some other non DMV agency.

The tickets would no longer be valid since the vehicle had not had its registration renewed for two years and then more than 5 years had elapsed from the last parking ticket. However, I'm not sure if there is some kind of penalty for non-registration as DMV-related items are not my expertise.

If you did not register your vehicle for two full years, the collections agency had the parking tickets returned to the processing agency. If you proceeded to re-register your vehicle within that 5-year span from last ticket to the time of re-registering, the processing agency could still go after you and re-file for collections.

1. Sponsored Links