Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can You Legally Force a Woman to Get an Amniocentesis

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Pennsylvannia

My wife and I recently got pregnant. She is currently 3 1/2 mths pregnant. long story short she got off her meds. to get pregnant and once we where pregnant she just kept getting worse and worse...She left me a month ago and i haven't seen or heard from her. My question is can I (her husband) legally force my wife to get a amniocentesis to prove paternity and see if its my baby? I want to know if it is my child so i know wether or not to get ready for a baby, and if needed for a custody battle.

Default Re: Can You Legally Force a Woman to Get an Amniocentesis

Oh HECK no.

There isn't a court in the land going to order that against Mom's wishes.

And in fact, most physicians will outright refuse to perform an amnio purely for paternity testing.

As it stands, you're the presumed father anyway.

yes i know i will be presumed the father... but since we are seperated now.. she won't let me be a part of the birth or even going to the doctor visits to make sure that the baby is healthy ... she actually got a pfa on me for texting her and asking her how she and our baby was.. so now i have to go to a PFA hearing for no reason... and the reason i was asking is because I figure she will just spit that out in the court hearing ... thats why i was wondering if i could force an amniocentesis..Because this is going to be my first child and i want to be there for everything and experience this wonderful/ beautiful birth thats going to happen.... So do I have any rights to be at the DR appointments or be in the birthing room ???? And what if she deciedes not to put my name on the birth certifacte? or changes the babies last name????

You have no right to be present, I'm afraid.

This is - at the moment - Mom's body we're talking about. Until there is a child actually born, you have no right to be anywhere Mom doesn't want you present - even the birthing room. She is also not legally obliged to tell you about doctor's appointments or anything else related to either her or the pregnancy.

Basically, you're powerless to do anything until the child is born.

so i have no right to even see the ultra-sounds and check on our baby??? can I legally call and talk to the Dr's office and tell them what she is going through right now ... being that she is off her meds and the doctors don't know what she is going thorugh and she is going insane she actually checked herself into a psych clinic. threating suciside and harming the unborn baby intentionally .. so she is not in her right mind... and doesn't take care of herself.. So as her husband i can do nothing but watch my wife kill herself or our baby ... then when shes back on her meds i'll have to try and expain what she did

=musclermn;521869]so i have no right to even see the ultra-sounds and check on our baby???
    correct

can I legally call and talk to the Dr's office and tell them what she is going through right now .
    yes but they cannot disclose anything to you unless your wife has signed a HIPAA release

. So as her husband i can do nothing but watch my wife kill herself or our baby ... then when shes back on her meds i'll have to try and expain what she did
    if you believe she is going to harm herself, contact her doctor and/or the police. You have no right to take direct action but if she is determined to be a threat to herself or the child, there are actions available to the state or her doctor.

You have no rights to the ultra-sounds or check on the pregnancy, no.

You can call her physician and express your concern...but the physician is likely to hum, ha, nod his head and say thank you for very much for the information - he will not be able to give you any information at all, legally.

If she has checked herself into a psych clinic, she will obviously be able to get the help she needs.

so i have no right to even see the ultra-sounds and check on our baby???
    No. You don't. Not until it is OUT of mom. Until then there IS no "baby".

[quote]can I legally call and talk to the Dr's office and tell them what she is going through right now ... being that she is off her meds and going insane she actually checked herself into a psych clinic. threating suciside and harming the unborn baby intentionally ..

You can talk to the doctor's office. But they are not legally obligated to talk BACK. You also need to tread VERY carefully, as doing this kind of thing is exactly what mom will use as ammo as to why the restraining order against you should be issued. Again, and very clearly.....you have no rights over mom, her body, or how she cares for herself, UNTIL the child is ACTUALLY born. Attempting to FORCE yourself into a situation where you have no LEGAL right to be is only putting ammo in mom's hands to use against you.

so she is not in her right mind... and doesn't take care of herself.. So as her husband i can do nothing but watch my wife kill herself or our baby ... then when shes back on her meds i'll have to try and expain what she did
    If you think she's a danger to herself, you can notify authorities. They can evaluate whether she should be subjected to a mental health hold against her will. If an involuntary hold happens, you STILL don't get any information.

So as her husband i can do nothing but watch my wife kill herself or our baby ... then when shes back on her meds i'll have to try and expain what she did
    You can TRY to take whatever EVIDENCE that she is an immediate danger to herself to authorities. Short of that, you have NO SAY in what mom does or doesn't do to take care of herself.

so what about having our last name as the babys? or can she make the babies last name whatever she wants just to piss me off. ??? and if she does is there anyway for me to change it to the correct last name?

Yes, you can petition the court to have the child's name changed. They can approve your petition, deny the petition, or choose to hyphenate the child's name.

There is no "correct" last name.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast