Default Roommate Moved Out, on Lease, Legally Liable, Should I Still Write My Own Contract

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Wisconsin

My roommate unexpectedly moved out. She told me to my face, and also through text messages that she will continue paying rent, but she is putting the electric bill under my name because she is not living there anymore. She is on the lease, and I know is legally liable, but since she moved out unexpectedly is she just going to unexpectedly stop paying rent? I don't know.

My question is should I write a contract stating that she needs to continue to keep paying $365 (her half of rent) until the lease ends October 1st? I've watched so many court shows, that I feel that I should do this to save my own butt just in case she suddenly stops paying. Plus, how would I write a contract stating that without loop holes?

Default Re: Roommate Moved Out, on Lease, Legally Liable, Should I Still Write My Own Contrac

If she's willing to sign a written confirmation of her ongoing liability with mutually acceptable terms, there's no apparent reason not to have her make that commitment in writing.

If you are not comfortable writing contracts, and don't chance across something you think will suffice, there are a lot of lawyers in the phone book you can retain to write a contract for you.

1. Sponsored Links