Default Used Car Purchased "As Is" Won't Pass Smog Test

We just bought a used car(97 in Calif) from a dealer. We bought it "as is" but the problem is that 2 days after we bought it the check engine light came on. Upon a closer inspection I noticed an emission related vacuum line is missing. I know it didn't just fall off and I also know that the battery had been replaced. Disconnecting the battery clears any codes in the computer and also causes the "service engine" light to go out which in most instances will come back on in a couple of days unless there is a major problem. I've used this technique myself in order to passed a smog check. This leads me to believe that the dealer did the same thing although it should have failed on the visual alone. Any recourse?

Default Re: Used Car Purchased "As Is" Won't Pass Smog Test

You are free to contact the dealer and ask if they'll fix the issue given how quickly the problem occurred; I would not be surprised if they remind you that it was an "as is" sale, but perhaps they'll be more sympathetic than I expect.

Speculating that they may use your preferred technique for fraudulently passing smog tests won't get you anywhere. A guess isn't evidence.

Thanks for the advice Mr. Knowitall. Might I add that your inference to this being my preference is pure speculation as well. I assure you I have done the majority of the tests legally, "BUT", when it's all you can do to scrape up the money for the rent and utilities each month, 'Hard times' sometimes call for drastic measures and saving a few bucks by "fraudulently passing smog test" is a minor risk. But then again people taking risks are what keep the lawyers fat and sassy wouldn't you say?

The Seller (a dealer in this case) is required to provide you with with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. If not directly to you, in cases where they handle the transfer, then directly to the DMV on your behalf.

You can Check the Smog Test History of a Vehicle HERE.

You can also contact The Bureau of Automotive Repair to see what recourse, if any, do you have.

The issue appears to be that the car passed, but the buyer believes the dealer cheated to make the car pass the test when it should have failed.

Oh, I missed that last line in the OP... And if a visual inspection would have caught the problem, shame on the buyer for not noticing it.

1. Sponsored Links