Default Paid Roommate for Utilites, Utilities Never Got Paid

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Virginia

The utilities are in my roommate's name. I have been paying her my share of the utilities every month. In March, our water got turned off. It turned out none of the utilities had been paid since January. The water was shut off from March until late April, until the landlord put the utilities in her name so they could be turned back on and we could clean the house out to move out. My roommate still has not paid one cent in utilities or paid me back. Can I press charges on her for stealing, or not using my money as we agreed?

Default Re: Paid Roommate for Utilites, Utilities Never Got Paid

You can take her to small claims court to recover your money, provided you can prove that you paid her to begin with. Do you have a written agreement or receipts? (Oral agreements are also enforceable, but they're harder to prove.)

Should you sue and prevail, you'll have to return to court to have the judgment enforced. Does she even have a job? Assets of any sort?

1. Sponsored Links