Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Leaving the U.S. With a Felony Warrant

I am British national currently living in the US. I recently found out I have a warrant for multiple charges, one being a felony. Will I have any problems flying out of the US back to the UK?

Default Re: Back to the Uk with a Us Felony

It's hard to say. It's a possibility but there are a lot of variables involved.

Why do you not engage a criminal defense attorney to discuss your problem? Taking care of it now will keep you from having to deal with it in the future.

Quote Quoting T53147
    View Post
    Why do you not engage a criminal defense attorney to discuss your problem? Taking care of it now will keep you from having to deal with it in the future.
    You're missing the point. He doesn't want to deal with his problems at all. He wants to escape them.

OP, what is your legal status in the US?

Default Re: Leaving the U.S. With a Felony Warrant

TSA doesn't normally run warrant checks on passengers but, as they say, strange things can happen. Also, depending upon the charges at issue, you may be flagged as a security risk - we have no way of knowing. All else being equal, odds are you would get onto the plane, but you may have the random luck of an in-depth security screening or be facing charges of a nature that have caused your file to be flagged.

Default Re: Leaving the U.S. With a Felony Warrant

That being said... coming back INTO the country could be interesting...

Quote Quoting T53147
    View Post
    I only just found out about the charges. They were originally all dismissed, therefore, I dismissed them too. It was when applying for an apartment that the background check came back that I had a warrant.

Apparently the case was re-opened there was a grand jury indictment or something. I knew nothing of this. All I have is paperwork saying all charges were 'Dismissed/No Complain'. I only found out yesterday at the courthouse, so I am waiting for a response from my attorney.

Heading back to the UK is my last resort as I do not want to go to jail and I was already planning on moving back this summer anyway.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    You're missing the point. He doesn't want to deal with his problems at all. He wants to escape them.
    Please refer to my response above.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    OP, what is your legal status in the US?
    I am in removal proceeding(I was on a student visa and got DUI. ICE came to see me) and was most likely getting an adjustment of status according to my attorney, but this would end any chance of that.

well, I don't know what crime you are being charged with but the US and the UK do have an extradition treaty. While you are speaking with your lawyer, you might want to check into whether whatever offense you are being charged with is great enough for the US to consider a request to extradite you back to the US should you make it to the UK

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    well, I don't know what crime you are being charged with but the US and the UK do have an extradition treaty. While you are speaking with your lawyer, you might want to check into whether whatever offense you are being charged with is great enough for the US to consider a request to extradite you back to the US should you make it to the UK
    I got into a fight protecting my girlfriend. I then struggled, ran away, got caught.

Charges:

Assault Pub safety Officer C/FELONY
    Disorderly Conduct B/MIS
    Interfer w/peace/parol/pro A/MIS
    Resist Arrest A/MIS
    Escape-3 A/MIS

They were all dismissed and I was released the next day as it was no where near as bad as all those charges suggest.

I suppose another thing to mention is the ID used was my drivers license, and would be leaving using a brand new passport which is on the way right now from Washington. Is it not my license number that red flags me?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast