Default "Good Cause" for Quitting a Part Time Job in California

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

My wife has been employed for three years as an admin at a large company. Originally she worked 5 6 hour days (30 hours total), with the birth of our second child she requested (and received) a change to 3 8 hour days.

We had hoped this would make her job to childcare expense ration palatable as I generally do not work days. That is not going to be the case come June and given the commute from Fremont to Oakland she will barely break even. She would like to quit her job and have UI benefits until she can find full time work closer to home. Does the "good cause" clause concept here?

Edit: FML has been exhausted.
    Edit 2: It may also be relevant that she went in to resign at the end of her FML, they offered this alternate schedule and she has been doing it for 3 months. My no longer being available to keep our two boys during the day is the big change.

Default Re: "Good Cause" for Quitting a Part Time Job in California

what happens in June that changes things?

I no longer have days free to keep our sons. Would require 3 full days of childcare for an infant and a toddler. That is a minimum 300 dollars, she currently makes roughly 400 a week before taxes.

Probably not. Child care and commute expenses are not an employer decision; they are decisions made solely by the employee based on personal circumstances. In fact, the employer does not even have to agree to her working a 3-day week if they choose not to. Why should the employer be charged for UI benefits because of a personal decision by the employee?

I suggest she start looking for a job NOW that will fit her circumstances better.

I agree with pattyPA. While there is no 100% answer as the UI folks, although remaining within the law, do have some lattitude in their actions so while it is possible she might get UI, based on what is typical, I would suggest she wouldn't.

1. Sponsored Links