Default Alienation of Affection Victim

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: North Carolina

My mother in law is being mistreated by her husband of 50+ years. My father in law has always been a provider and hard worker, but also very mental and physically abusive. They opened a group home which my husband ran and hired a lady to do the paper work. The woman over the last 2 1/2 years have taken the position of wife for both my husband and my father in law. My mother in law has never been with another man in her entire life, never worked a public job and never handled any of the business affairs. Due to my father in law need to control everyone and everthing the business was disolved in a year and a half. During this time he did not pay the mortgage payment nor taxes on the house my mother in law lives in and he moved into the group home which they own next door. My mother in law had surgery on her left knee in Jan 2011 and my father in law moved back in her house to take care of her (supposively). My father in law and the accounting lady continues to have a unhealthy relationship, in that she spends alot of alone time with him, buys him only food(that he hids from his wife), has given him (only) a cell phone, she has tolds his wife several times "if you did not like what has gone on in your marriage you should have left", she plants the idea in my father in laws head that everything belongs to him and everyone else is ungrateful.

A restraining order is needed to get this woman out of our lives. What is the best way to approach this request?

Default Re: Alienation of Affection Victum

You won't get a restraining order against this woman no matter what you do or how hard you try.

The only person that can do anything about this situation is your MIL, and if she doesn't do anything, the law has no choice but to assume that this is the way she likes to live. If your MIL changes her mind at some point and decides to change her life, you may assist her in effecting the change, but that's about it as far as your role in this situation is concerned.

You are a complete legal stranger to the situation and thus nothing that YOU can do. If MIL is unhappy in her marriage, she needs to take steps to get out of it and use an attorney via the divorce process to protect any of her rights to assets. Nothing in your post even remotely suggests that there are grounds for a restraining order.

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    You are a complete legal stranger to the situation and thus nothing that YOU can do. If MIL is unhappy in her marriage, she needs to take steps to get out of it and use an attorney via the divorce process to protect any of her rights to assets. Nothing in your post even remotely suggests that there are grounds for a restraining order.

Agreed.

And if Mom is actually being abused, there are avenues available.

1. Sponsored Links