Default Can You Turn Yourself In at a U.S. Embassy for a U.S. Arrest Warrant

I have a bench warrant for felony probation violation(failure to report) since 1994. If I were to turn myself in to the nearest U.S. Embassy, what would be their response ?? If the county which issued the warrant declines to pay for my transportation and or deportation, and I am legally in the country where I reside what would become of my warrant????

Default Re: Felony Probation Violation Turn Self in to U.S. Embassy

The warrant will not go away.

And unless your warrant is for some very serious criminal offenses, no county is going to seek extradition from a foreign jurisdiction.

You will remain a fugitive.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Then correct me If I'm wrong, but if the County declines to seek extradition then they would be waiving their right to extradite in the future, unless of course i'm picked up in the same state. Therefore I could live and travel anywhere in the world(as a fugitive) except for the state in which I'm wanted...Is this correct ????

Quote Quoting jimijakk
    View Post
    Then correct me If I'm wrong, but if the County declines to seek extradition then they would be waiving their right to extradite in the future, unless of course i'm picked up in the same state. Therefore I could live and travel anywhere in the world(as a fugitive) except for the state in which I'm wanted...Is this correct ????
    They can decline extradition any time they please, and the warrant will remain ... though there are exceptions. They can waive today and extradite tomorrow. They do not forever lose the right to extradite based upon that warrant. Though, if they indicate in the warrant entry that they will extradite from a specific area and they decline extradition, NCIC or the state could force the issuing agency to modify that extradition clause.

When a warrant is issued it often is released to a limited geographic area. So, in other words, the embassy may not even be able to find it. Some warrants may not even be available state wide (depending on the state system).

The existence of the warrant can cause problems with employment, travel to foreign nations (if discovered it could result in your being booted from where you are ... depending on the nature of the alleged offense), can prevent access to student loans, home loans, welfare, SSI, and can cause frequent law enforcement contacts and detentions. And, warrants generally do not automatically expire. They may roll out of state or federal databases over time if not renewed, but they will not go away and have a nasty habit of appearing when you least want them to.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

I appreciate your help. The crime was attempted aggravated robbery. I left the country while on probation due differences with my P.O.. I was young and stupid. since then I have managed to create a nice life and a beautiful family here in Mexico. of course I have always had the desire to make ammends, but it is much easier said than done. I have hired attorneys to talk to the Probation dept on my behalf, and the response has always been "We will talk once he is in custody". I am a legal resident here and have had no problems with my work nor immigration etc..Is there any way to know what the Probation dept will reccomend to the judge before I turn myself in....????thanx again

I think it is safe to assume that the Probation Department would recommend prison. Clearly you did not adhere to the terms and conditions of probation the first time, and then you fled the jurisdiction.

If you come back you will likely go to prison. At the very least you will be in a county jail for some time.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

I would like to think that turning myself in as opposed to getting picked up would have some kind of influence on their decision...Either way I completely agree with your assumption...Thanx again for your candor...

Default Re: Can You Turn Yourself In at a U.S. Embassy for a U.S. Arrest Warrant

See what happened to Polanski after he left France ... they tried to get him from the Swiss.. so they can try to get you again and again and again.

Want to turn yourself in? You should be able to go the the US Embassy & turn yourself in -- they may just tell you to go back home and do it -- to save $$$ on your airfare. If you are a serial killer, they'll take you..so it will depend on the crime I would guess.

Quote Quoting jimijakk
    View Post
    I have hired attorneys to talk to the Probation dept on my behalf, and the response has always been "We will talk once he is in custody".
    And this is the correct response from the department .. if you think that because the do not have you that this gives you leverage, you are mistaken.

Your crime is a very serious offense ; and you are guilty of this crime. You should be in prison right now & you know this. I would think that if you truly wanted to clear this up you would have a long time ago --- you know whats required & you have not done it. I doubt you will ever get this settled w/o being caught.

Turning yourself in does tend to go better for a person, but, you have to do it in a place where they will accept your surrender. Usually, it is best to surrender in the jurisdiction where the warrant is held and to do so with legal counsel present so that bail and such can be arranged and your initial stay can be minimized.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links