Default Unreasonable Noise Complaint

My question involves animal law for the State of: California

We rent a home in Sherman Oaks. Several weeks ago our neighbor complained to us that our two dogs' barking woke her in the mornings. We have since made sure to keep our dogs inside until we leave for work at roughly 7:40 in the morning.

As we had heard no other complaints from our neighbor we assumed that the problem was resolved. However, today our neighbor confronted my wife in front of our house. My wife tried to explain that since we had not heard from her since we began keeping the dogs in, we assumed that the problem had been solved. She then became verbally abusive to my wife and two young daughters and has threatened to "report" us.

Our dogs do not bark continuously. Like most of the many dogs in our neighborhood they do tend to bark when strange dogs or loud groups pass by. We keep our dogs inside between the hours of 6pm and 7:40-8am. We have had no complaints from any other neighbors. We would like to be,accommodating, but we feel that our neighbor is being unreasonable. (The gas-powered leaf-blowers which are louder and far more sustained than a dog barking begin promptly at 8am on our street each morning and it is my understanding that this is perfectly legal.)

I have read the on-line Animal Nuisance forms for the City of Los Angeles and it appears that a mere accusation is sufficient to fine the owners of the "offending" animal(s).

Have I read this law correctly?

What recourse does one have if they feel a complaint is unreasonable/unwarranted?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Unreasonable Noise Complaint

Quote Quoting City Dad
    View Post
    I have read the on-line Animal Nuisance forms for the City of Los Angeles and it appears that a mere accusation is sufficient to fine the owners of the "offending" animal(s).

Have I read this law correctly?
    What section did you read?

What recourse does one have if they feel a complaint is unreasonable/unwarranted?
    If interviewed, you provide your version of events if you wish. If cited, you present your defense to a judge.

It will not be for you to decide on the reasonableness of the complain, but a neutral party - usually a court, unless the matter is a civil/administrative one.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links