Default Speeding 44/35 in South Carolina

I was caught speeding in the city of Anderson,SC on January 18th, 2011. The officer reduced my charge from 51/35 to 44/35 and advised me not to go to court, because this was the lowest traffic ticket available in the state. This ticket has a 2-point violation and a $81 fine. I was granted a continuance and had my first court date heard on March 14th. I pleaded not guilty and asked for a jury trial and that was granted. My jury trial, of 6 people, is a three day event that starts on Wednesday, January 20th and runs until January 22nd. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or anything, seeing as the "final" court date is nearly here. Thanks for any input.

Scratch that, the jury trial is APRIL 20th through 22nd, not January.

Default Re: Speeding 44/35 in South Carolina

You should have took the officers advice. He was giving you a break.

I appreciate your thought. But its just a tactic that all the cops do around here, they reduce everyone's tickets down so they will be inclined not to fight their violation.

I am very familiar with the tactics of the Anderson police, I have dealt with them before due to an accident. Were you actually going 51 in a 35? If so s/he will not be kind to you in court and the jury may convict you. Then you will have court fees tacked on to the $81 ticket.

For anyone wondering. I went to jury trials today. This is supposedly a 3 day process, with day one being mediation. The officer pulled me a side, and asked me what did I want to do. I told her I wanted my case dismissed, understanding that the points cannot be adjusted, and the fine cannot be reduced because this is the minimum ticket offered in the state of SC. She told me that she had already cut me a break on the speed, and there was no way it could be reduced. Shortly thereafter, she was pulled away by another officer and I was left to stand there for a few minutes. After she returned, she offered to rewrite the ticket to a manner of driving ticket that was $133 but had no points placed against it. I accepted the arrangement, and then we went to the judge and I pleaded guilty to the charge. Because I had a clean record prior, he reduced the fine back to $81. So essentially, I got out with the same fine but no points. It pays to fight these things and not lay down.

Congrats! You got two breaks! The guy that ran in to my car in Anderson was charged with following to close and was given a break on open container and wasn't given a breathalyzer test, which I am sure he would not have passed. He decided to fight it and I was summoned to appear in court. The judge threw the book at him! Open container, court costs, more points, and ordered him to pay for my lost time at work.

1. Sponsored Links