Default Leaving the Scene of a Personal Property Accident

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Delaware
    On 4/16/11 I hit a telephone pole. During the accident I lost my cell phone and walked to the houses across the street for help. No answer. I returned to my car and waited for apx 20 min. When no help came I walked to find help. When I found someone to answer the door I asked them to call my parents. I returned to the scene when they picked me up. I was charged with - Leaving the scene of property collision accident- failure to report a collision to police agny on publ why property dam $500-careless driving & unreasonable speed. Due to a concussion I do not remember how the accident occurred. The car was totaled.

Can I fight leaving the scene and failure to report? I returned to the scene as soon as i got help. The house that I went to for help was having a party and they were all drinking. It was not reasonable for me to ask them to return me to the scene. They called my parents for me. They did let me speak to my parents and I did ask them to call the police, but they said to wait for my parents first.

Am I facing serious charges or losing my license?

I am a single mother with 2 children. I have a very stable job, but get no child support. I do not have the means to hire a lawyer. What should I do to protect myself?

Default Re: Leaving the Scene of a Personal Property Accident

You have the right to contest the charge. I suggest working with a lawyer, and getting medical documentation of your post-accident condition and memory problems.

Did you join in the partying at the house that you went to for help? That is, was it your story for the officers that you had a few drinks after the accident? You are how old?

Default Re: Leaving the Scene of a Personal Property Accident

Quote Quoting sher298
    View Post

Can I fight leaving the scene and failure to report?
    You can try. You went to the doctor for your concussion right? So there is medical evidence it happened? Even if you were out of it, your parents should have had the common sense to call 911 and wait at the scene for the police and EMS. Did you EVER call the police to report the accident? Even if you did but it was well after the accident, from a legal standpoint you are screwed on the charges.

Quote Quoting sher298
    View Post
    Am I facing serious charges or losing my license?
    Not too serious and possibly.

Quote Quoting sher298
    View Post
    I am a single mother with 2 children. I have a very stable job, but get no child support. I do not have the means to hire a lawyer. What should I do to protect myself?
    Plead not guilty and hope one of the charges makes you eligible for a public defender or ask your folks to swing you some dough for at least a consult with a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links