Default Becoming a Police Officer With a Juvenile Record, Denied for Military

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Michigan
    After months of losing wieght for the Army i finally past my physical down at MEPS only to have a juvenle records DQ. I was arrested for Sexual Assualt at the age of ten being accused of my sisters friend who was 7 and did the same thing to her brother. After 2 years of the case being draged around and no hard evidence to back anything up (becuase i never did anything) plus stories being mixed up by everyone accusing me and records from a psychiatrist saying there was no way i could have done this the case was finally pleaded down to i think simple assualt or assualt and battery. I was aggravted i had to give up on this dream and hope i dont have to give up on the next. I would love to be a cop in Detroit, MI andwant toknow if they can see the files or not. Im also not sure how the decide things I know the military goes off of what the original charge was. I just really want to make a diffrence and be a hero im not a bad guy i was just put in a bad situation by my parents. My recrutiers also stated that i could use them as refrence so i would just like some one to shed a little light i dont know if this records are expunged becuase i am now 20 or what.

Default Re: Denied for Military Service for Juvenle Record Can I Still Be a Cop

Given Detroit's reputation, I wouldn't imagine the lower charge would stop them. If they look at the original, it might. Some states allow the courts and certain agencies to see juvenile records, even after sealing/expunging, for some purposes including background checks. A piece of advice, which I'm sure some of the officers on here will re-iterate, do NOT go out there looking to be a hero. That is a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt or killed. Do it because you want to make a difference. Good luck!

Thank you its really stressful to think this might ruin my life for good. I have never been in an other trouble never tried any drugs or touched alchoal was an honor roll student all through high school and got a 31 on my ACT. I would have gone to a big college but cant affored it so i really wanted the the Army i didnt think my juvenile record would keep my from it. All i wanted in the Army was to be a grunt just basic infantry. So another question is there any possible way for a person with no money to get this completely removed from his records.

The process of having a juvenile adjudication set aside is summarized here. Note that your record would remain visible to a police agency in a background check.
    Quote Quoting MCL 712a.18e(13)
    (13) The department of state police shall retain a nonpublic record of the order setting aside an adjudication and of the record of the arrest, fingerprints, adjudication, and disposition of the applicant in the case to which the order applies. Except as provided in subsection (14), this nonpublic record shall be made available only to a court of competent jurisdiction, an agency of the judicial branch of state government, a law enforcement agency, a prosecuting attorney, the attorney general, or the governor upon request and only for the following purposes:
    (a) Consideration in a licensing function conducted by an agency of the judicial branch of state government.

(b) Consideration by a law enforcement agency if a person whose adjudication has been set aside applies for employment with the law enforcement agency.

(c) To show that a person who has filed an application to set aside an adjudication has previously had an adjudication set aside under this section.

(d) The court's consideration in determining the sentence to be imposed upon conviction for a subsequent offense that is punishable as a felony or by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

(e) Consideration by the governor, if a person whose adjudication has been set aside applies for a pardon for another offense.

Default Re: Becoming a Police Officer With a Juvenile Record, Denied for Military

Quote Quoting Xwingsfan13X
    I just really want to make a diffrence and be a hero
    The best heroes are those people with good character, good work ethic, and humbly serving people on and off the job. Boy Scouts of America needs such heroes. Big Brothers needs such heroes. Such heroes will have a far more lasting and better impact on your community than a police officer who dies in a stupid blaze of glory.

I remember watching a movie about Audie Murphy, the most decorated veteran of World War II. The movie starred Audie Murphy himself. I was particularly impressed by how cautious and (some may say) "cowardly" he was by doing his best to expose himself to enemy fire only when absolutely necessary, and even then very briefly. Some of his "brave" companions died unnecessarily. Audie went on to combine extreme competence, goal-driven actions, creative thinking, and luck to single-handedly capture 145 German soldiers. But even without the luck he would have been a great role model.

Go out there and be a great role model!

1. Sponsored Links