Question Arrest Warrant and Marriage License

My sister has an arrest warrant in the state of Nevada. If she shows her Nevada Drivers license at the county clerks office in New Mexico to obtain a marriage license will she be arrested? Also, will New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles arrest her if she goes in to change her name after the marriage?

Default Re: Arrest Warrant and Marriage License

I doubt that either place does records checks, and it's unlikely that either has officers on hand to effect arrests even if they did (although I suppose a County Clerk's office could call for a court officer).

Rather than worrying about this warrant, though, why doesn't she simply take care of it. It will catch up with her eventually.

Default Re: Arrest Warrant and Marriage License

Quote Quoting nuinmehico2
    My sister has an arrest warrant in the state of Nevada. If she shows her Nevada Drivers license at the county clerks office in New Mexico to obtain a marriage license will she be arrested? Also, will New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles arrest her if she goes in to change her name after the marriage?
    My response:

This is an ethical law site. We are not here to assist you, or your sister, to avoid the law, or the inevitable.

I do advise, however, that your sister should take care of this problem because it won't go away, and to keep her from having to always look over her shoulders. The law could catch up to her 1 year from now, or 25 years from now - - but the law will catch up to her at some point.

IAAL

1. Sponsored Links