Default Court Appointed Attorney Fees when Case is Dismissed in Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan. My case was dismissed because the complaining witness failed to show for trial. A few day afterwards I received a show cause from the court (40th District) to show why I shouldn't be held in criminal contempt for not paying the attorney fee. I was not ordered to pay any attorney fees by the judge prior to receiving this notice. I can't afford the fee as I'm not currently employed. Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Court Appointed Attorney Fees when Case is Dismissed in Michigan

I guess counties are hard up for cash. Traditionally they don't pursue court appointed lawyer fees in the event of a dismissal.

What is the exact language of the petition you signed when you requested a court-appointed lawyer.

I do not remember the exact language. I'm sure it said that I may be responsible for fees if it is found that I'm financially able to. But the court never asked me to fill out any forms for them to obtain my financial information. On the 15th in front of the judge I explained that I was/am unable to come up with the fee due to my financial sutuation. He then gave me 60 days to come up with it.

If you don't tell us what you signed, we cannot tell you it's legal impact. Get a copy of the petition and court order appointing the lawyer from the court file, and tell us what it says.

Is it your impression that the court does this as a matter of routine, or that the court is singling you out because the judge feels like you're guilty and got lucky with the dismissal?

This is form MC 222(Request For Court-Appointed Attorney and Order). I'm almost positive this is what I signed, but I will go to the court Monday and try to get a copy. As far as do I think I'm being singled out or not I can't really comment on that, as I'm not a court "veteran". Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links