Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Son Reported Abuse when Eight, Now 17, How to File Charges

    My question involves criminal law for the state of: FL, AL, NY

    My son told me, after he had turned eight, that he had been sexually abused by his former step father when we had lived in Florida. We had left my former spouse for numerous reasons by the time my son was five. We went to the nearest CPS office in NY when he told me. We were told then that they'd notified CPS in Florida but that no one was able to serve my ex as he had long since left the town in which we had lived. I eventually gave up on searching for the pedophile and focused resources on counseling for my son.

    My question is this: now I have discovered that the pedophile lives in the state of Alabama, where do I begin the process to prefer charges against the man?

    My son is still traumatized and attends a special therapeutic school today. I owe my child a proper pursuit and closure to this painful chapter in his life. It was a miserable two years during his most formative time in a very vulnerable young life. I worked many hours then but ought to have known. Although counseling and ongoing therapy has been helpful, he has recently stated that true healing can begin for him once he knows "the monster" has been brought to justice.

    I am not interested in a financial suit for damages, I am only interested in having a pedophile identified and brought to justice; by which I mean incarceration, preferably for a very long time.

    Thank you for your time and shared expertise/opinions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Son Reported Abuse when Eight, Now 17, How to File a Lawsuit

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but without proof - ie, medical reports, CPS reports etc., you have little chance at a successful suit.

    I do recommend you speak with a local attorney immediately to discuss your options. And I also STRONGLY suggest you to do NOT refer to your ex as a pedophile at this point. He hasn't been convicted of anything, and the last thing you need is a defamation suit to defend against.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Son Reported Abuse when Eight, Now 17, How to File Charges

    Contact the prosecutor's office in Florida that was handling the case and trying to locate the accused, and let them know his current address.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Son Reported Abuse when Eight, Now 17, How to File Charges

    Dear Dogmatique and Mr. Knowitall,

    Thank you for your truly speedy response.

    I will seriously consider your thoughtful advice and I really appreciate the heads-up on creating potential for a defamation of character case, no matter how laughable or frivolous it would prove to be - it is decidedly not what I need.

    Sincerely grateful -

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Child Abuse: What Happens After Child Abuse is Reported to the Police
    By songswelove in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
  2. Initiation of Charges: How Long Does It Take for the D.A. to File Charges and Can I Also Press Charges
    By Supermomof6 in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 07:04 AM
  3. Child Abuse: If a Parent Commits Child Abuse is There Any Time Frame for It to Be Reported
    By chris14513 in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
  4. Defamation: Charges Reported To Other Potential Employers, Despite Dismissal
    By imevil6969 in forum Defamation, Slander And Libel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
  5. Assault & Battery: Child abuse charges
    By steve4 in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources