Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Adoption in South Dakota

How do you go about adoption in South Dakota?

Default Re: adoption

Quote Quoting deedee
    How do you go about adoption in South Dakota?
    My response:

By hiring an attorney specializing in adoptions, or placing your name on the State Adoption list. Then, wait.

IAAL

Default Re: Adoption in South Dakota

The mother signed a consent for adoption, but now the father says he's going to fight.
    My question is: since they are not married and he never supported any of the children does she have more rights?
    Can DSS be subpoenad for court and prove that he has been charged with neglect 5 times!
    What can the adopting party do now that the father wants to fight. The father is not even in the picture again. He left the girlfriend for the 4th time and 2 times in the last year. He's not very stable and he's an alcoholic. He can't even take care of these kids let alone take care of himself. He has a bad past record with children. The mother is not wanting this guy to have these children and so she has signed the adoption for consent and it should be at the attorneys office right now.

She will have to convince the court to terminate his parental rights in accord with state law. It sounds like she has facts which could be compelling to the court. It would probably be helpful for her to get assistance from a lawyer.

I think that can be done. Yes, she has alot on him.

Thanks for your help.

Since the mother has already consented to the adoption in writing and the dad doesn't want to. Where does she go from here. Does she have to petition the court for a hearing or does she have to have 2 signatures before she can do this?

The prospective adoptive parents should probably work with their lawyer to initiate any required court proceedings. I don't know what you're referencing, in regard to "2 signatures".

Well the father is refusing to sign next and so what is the next step? Does she have to petition to move for a signature even petition to terminate his parental rights. The children are not living with either parent what can the guardian do now that momn has signed a consent?
    It's to my understanding that she can't do anything until he signs is this correct?

Quote Quoting deedee
    Well the father is refusing to sign next and so what is the next step? Does she have to petition to move for a signature or even petition to terminate his parental rights? The children are not living with either parent what can the guardian do now that mom has signed a consent?
    It's to my understanding that she can't do anything until he signs is this correct?
    Deedee, it is very important that you seek the counsel of an attorney that specializes in adoption.

The father could throw a boomerang in the whole arrangement.

Please seek a lawyer ASAP.

Please explain what you mean by "throw a boomerang in the whole situation." Is this good or bad?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast