Default California Travel Reimbursement Laws

to clarify my earlier post to this issue

I work for a private Investgiation company. Half of the employees have their own PI. license and work as subcontractors. The other half (LIKE ME) do not have a license and work as an regular employee. The company is headquartered in Massachusettes. I live and work in California. They send me assignments over the internet and I drive to the specified location, anywhere from 30 - 400 miles a day. They pay hourly to travel, and they pay me hourly to work. However, I am not receiveing any mileage money, or any vehicle allowance. I am only paid the exact cost of gas after I turn in the gas pump receipt. According to CA law, it states that they are supposed to pay for employee expenses. ie.. Internet, cell phone, camcorder, laptop, broadband, office supplies, etc ... However this company is NOT paying for anything except the hours worked. I was told that since half of the employees work for themselves as subcontractors that they treat all the employees the same. What should I do about all these expenses I am incurring? It is costing me at least 30-40% of my money just to keep working for them and keep my car on the road. Who else should I ask? If they do not pay for any of these expenses should I just go to HnR block and have them deal with it? PLEASE HELP I haven't done my taxes yet and they are due today!!

Default Re: California Travel Reimburse Info Needed

Starting a new thread for the same question isn't going to get that question answered any sooner. The respondents here are volunteers with other obligations to attend to. They will answer your questions when they're able to do so.

Regarding doing your taxes, waiting this long to even think about doing your tax return is no one's fault but your own. Don't try and shift the responsibility onto us. If you'd really wanted these issues to be resolved before you had to do your taxes, you should have started asking your questions a long time ago.

Well, it's a little late to worry about 2010 now, don't ya think?

However, you can file a complaint with the DLSE for nonpayment. In case you need it, it's Labor Code Section 2802 that addresses this issue.

I filed an extension and then i'll take all my receipts to a Tax Professional. Late or not.. If the company won't pay then maybe Uncle Sam will give me some back... Been so busy I completely flaked on tax season this year and I'm sure i'll pay dearly for it. If I file a complaint I will most certainly lose my job. If I can get some tax credit on all the expenses I will take that option instead. I was hoping for a more concise answer. I don't want to file a complaint, spend days calculating things, wait months for a mediation meeting, wait a year to then eventually receive a worthless Public Defender and a trial with a tired judge, and then lose the only thing that pays the rent. NO THANKS! Not worth it... If the justice system favored the employee then maybe it would be worth a try. Thanks for your answers though.. really do appreciate this site. Up to my ears in receipts now...

1. Sponsored Links