Default California Mileage Travel Reimbursment

This is my second question on this thread. So glad I found you.....I work for a national company based out of Boston MASS. They employ people all over the U.S. I live and work in California. I travel everyday for my job, sometimes 1000 miles per week. I put 50,000 miles on my car in one year. The company I work for is not giving me any mileage money, no vehicle allowance, or anything for wear and tear. I am only getting reimbursed for the actual gas after I turn in receipts from the gas pump. Also I sometimes travel to Nevada and Arizona. They do not pay for any meals or anything. They only pay for the hotel cost. Is this legal? If I work in CA 99% of the time, do the laws change when I travel to other states? I cannot afford to keep tires and breaks on my car with all this travel so I am trying to see if this is legal. If it is legal should I be getting the money back from taxes or something. it seems to cost me 30% of my salary for vehicle repairs and maintenance.?? Also they require me to have a lapotop so they can email me all day but they don't pay for internet, broadband, or cell phone either..... Currently costing me $200. a month... Please help, am I getting takin' advantage of? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: California Mileage Travel Reimbursment

2802. (a) An employer shall indemnify his or her employee for all
    necessary expenditures or losses incurred by the employee in direct
    consequence of the discharge of his or her duties, or of his or her
    obedience to the directions of the employer
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=2800-2810

The DLSE has determined that, for auto expenses, the IRS rate meets the requirement.

The fact that you may make rare trips outside the state is irrelevant.

I am not sure what your answer meant by the IRS meets the requirements. Are you saying that the employer does not have to pay because the IRS meets the requirements and I am requrired to take it up with the IRS on my own. The company is not doing anythign wrong?

No, I'm saying that if the employer pays you the IRS max nontaxable rate ($.51/mile), that meets the California requirement for reimbursement of auto expenses.

Did you read the cite I included? The employer must pay for anything they require you to have/do in the performance of your job.

thats what im saying - THEY PAY NOTHING for miles, and no vehicle allowance.... I drive 1000 miles a week for them. and they only pay me for the exact cost of gasoline when I turn in my receipts every month. I thought they should have to pay for all the other stuff too, but they are not. My boss told me I had the internet before they hired me so why should he pay for it now. They also required me to purchase a new laptop, and a digital camera too. But they said these were requirements to get the job. I have not been reimbursed for anything. I only get paid for the hours I work. My fellow co-workers, say if I bring this up , they will stop giving me work he said they willnot fire me, they will just stop giving me the work and give it someone else.

Then, file a complaint with the DLSE; either it works or it doesn't.

BTW, there was no reason to amend this question to your overtime thread; it was already being addressed here.

1. Sponsored Links